Ended Official BYC Mini Contest #2 - Tell us your best chicken story and you c

I've cared for flocks of chickens before, both my friends' birds and the ranch I worked at. But my first real coop came with my first flock of my own. There's Falkor, a rather, erm, *special* salmon faverolle, Krist-hen Chenoweth the bantam, Idina Hen-zel and Meg RyHen the black sexlinks, Becky the EE, and last but not least, Christina Hen-dricks the RIR.
Christina was the leader of the flock, and by far the most social- she would come running when she heard the sliding door, and would "talk" with me back and forth. She would also get the others to do what I was asking, including helping me get everyone back to the coop at night.
About a month after we brought them home, a dog was harassing the chickens through the run... And as I was running out to help them, out comes Christina, telling the dog exactly what is what. She was such a wonderful bosslady chicken and I could not help but laugh in surprise! She fended him off and he has yet to try and come back unto my yard.
Christina was injured badly while protecting Falkor from the neighbor's awful cat (the cat no longer lives with the neighbors) and had to be put down. I miss her sweet and sassy attitude, and seeing her streak across the yard to greet me. Truly a special bird!
2764.png

Christina sounds like she was an awesome girl. Sorry for your loss.

I've cared for flocks of chickens before, both my friends' birds and the ranch I worked at. But my first real coop came with my first flock of my own. There's Falkor, a rather, erm, *special* salmon faverolle, Krist-hen Chenoweth the bantam, Idina Hen-zel and Meg RyHen the black sexlinks, Becky the EE, and last but not least, Christina Hen-dricks the RIR.
Christina was the leader of the flock, and by far the most social- she would come running when she heard the sliding door, and would "talk" with me back and forth. She would also get the others to do what I was asking, including helping me get everyone back to the coop at night.
About a month after we brought them home, a dog was harassing the chickens through the run... And as I was running out to help them, out comes Christina, telling the dog exactly what is what. She was such a wonderful bosslady chicken and I could not help but laugh in surprise! She fended him off and he has yet to try and come back unto my yard.
Christina was injured badly while protecting Falkor from the neighbor's awful cat (the cat no longer lives with the neighbors) and had to be put down. I miss her sweet and sassy attitude, and seeing her streak across the yard to greet me. Truly a special bird!
2764.png

This was such a cute story! I loved Christina's sass and all your chickens names! I'm so sorry you lost her, but thank you for sharing such a cute story about your chickens.

So I have a chicken named Bailey and she always loved to jump by or into people's cars :lol: so one day we drove home from Mc.Donalds and she cam running then I threw out a few fries and she picked it up and ran away from the others to keep it to herself. Then we threw out a a pickle circle for her and said " Bailey want a pickle? Go get it" then she ran to get it then accidentally stepped on it (she did not know she stepped on it :lol: silly :cd) then she look around for the pickle then looked back at us. After that she just walked away not ever knowing where it was.

Thank you for sharing unicornmomma I am also sorry to read that you lost Christina, she sounded like a feisty girl.

Tee hee RouenBud funny story; I can picture her confusion.

N F C Re: your current avatar [KILT] .. love it! LOL
lau.gif

It is! Oh my goodness! Any out yet?! You have to post pics when they get their cute little fluffy butts out of the eggshells!
None survived hatch. The temp in the bator spiked too high a few day's ago and i don't know how long it was until i found and fixed it. I think that killed them. I went to Trader Joes and got more egg's so starting over.

So I have a chicken named Bailey and she always loved to jump by or into people's cars
lol.png
so one day we drove home from Mc.Donalds and she cam running then I threw out a few fries and she picked it up and ran away from the others to keep it to herself. Then we threw out a a pickle circle for her and said " Bailey want a pickle? Go get it" then she ran to get it then accidentally stepped on it (she did not know she stepped on it
lol.png
silly
D.gif
) then she look around for the pickle then looked back at us. After that she just walked away not ever knowing where it was.
lau.gif
funny story, thanks for sharing.

So I have a chicken named Bailey and she always loved to jump by or into people's cars :lol: so one day we drove home from Mc.Donalds and she cam running then I threw out a few fries and she picked it up and ran away from the others to keep it to herself. Then we threw out a a pickle circle for her and said " Bailey want a pickle? Go get it" then she ran to get it then accidentally stepped on it (she did not know she stepped on it :lol: silly :cd) then she look around for the pickle then looked back at us. After that she just walked away not ever knowing where it was.

Aw, Bailey sounds so cute! Haha, such a funny, cute story I can just imagine the confusion on her face! Thanks for sharing with us.
1f60a.png

None survived hatch. The temp in the bator spiked too high a few day's ago and i don't know how long it was until i found and fixed it. I think that killed them. I went to Trader Joes and got more egg's so starting over.

I am so sorry! It's so hard when hatches don't work out and you spend three weeks waiting and watching and then you don't get any baby Chickies in turn. I hope that this time you get a bunch of them to hatch! Over the next three weeks anytime I think too I'll pray for your little babies in the eggs. Keep us updated and if you need any help or advice along the way I've lived through many of the troubles hatching eggs and my pm box is always open for concerns or questions. =)

Thank you. So heartbreaking to get to hatch and lose them. They were sooo cute too. I wish i could afford a real incubator, but not in my budget. I dream of having a Brinsea but only a dream. I have entered contest's to win one but no luck. Anyway, set 12 in the bator this morning so will pray for success.

It is!!!! Was this your first hatch? I know, baby chickes are always so adorable! I can only dream of having a brinsea also! I've entered a bunch of those contests I've seen places and I've never won one either! If you can get your hands on a Little Giant styrofoam those are actually better than what most people say. I have two, they both get great hatches but do require a little extra "babysitting" but if you're patient and have time on your hands you can get them set and at least mine will actually hold it. I've gotten 11/12 out of my oldest one. I usually get anywhere from 75-90% hatch rates from them. So just my suggestion. What are you using right now? A homemade bator?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom