Ended Official BYC Mini-Contest - What’s Your Hobby

Pics
One of my hobbies is crocheting, though admittedly not as well as @CluckerFamily . I mosty crochet amigurumi (stuffed toys), but I"m working on some hats. I'm not sure why I really like it- I love the feeling of yarn, and it's very calming to do, especially when it's a simpler pattern. It's very satisfying to watch a string of yarn turn into a fabric before your eyes. Because I usually do smaller scale projects, I crochet in little bits and pieces all day- in the car, between classes at school, before dance, before bed..it's super easy to carry a ball of yarn, a piece of paper, a crochet hook, and a paper clip around, especially when 3 out of the four items are attached. Some sacrifices I make to be able to practice the hobby- probably mostly money. I've managed to get myself hooked on some expensive yarn, and patterns can cost a bit. Without a real job, it's hard to pay for the stuff to use. I'd consider myself intermediate in the field of crocheting- I can read patterns and learn new stitches easily, but I only started this spring. I also tend to lose steam on long projects. Unfortunately, I'm not able to make any money off of my crochet :( People I'm able to reach don't tend to care about 'handmade' enough to pay for materials and work time.
View attachment 2420546
This is the top of a slouchy hat I'm working on. (yes, a hat for a human- it's not done!!!) (I get asked if it's a hat for a person like 42 times every day lol) It's fingering weight yarn and a super simple pattern of single crochets, which shows off the yarn color nicely.
View attachment 2420547
Here's a little crochet chicken I did. It's a modified pattern.
View attachment 2420621
Fish Cat toy of my own design. Filled with catnip.
View attachment 2420623
Mouse cat toy I did. Also filled with catnip. I'd like to get a business on etsy going with these, but I'd need to make them in a bunch of different colors, and also make a lot. I'm worried that I'll either have loads of interest with these and make too little, or make lots and be disappointed. I'm also considering doing little octopus ones. The issue with that is the octopus isn't my pattern.
View attachment 2420635
This is a bunny ear headband I made for my friend's little sister. they have a rabbit that's white with black spots and ears, named Cookie. Little sister said she 'wanted Cookie ears' and in my quest to be the coolest friend, I made her some
I added a bunch to this post.

Hobby #1: Writing
I love to write. Being able to create a world with just a few words, making loveable characters, character arcs, plot twists, making people laugh, cry, smile, and want to throw the book across the room XD

I write any time I can, whether it be a fanfiction, my WIP, or a Role Play with friends. I don't consider myself an amateur, - I've been doing this for two years now - but I'm definitely not an expert. I don't think I ever will be, to be honest. But that's half the fun of it!

Part of writing is collecting notebooks to write in... Most of my writing in on Google Docs, but there's nothing like a good old notebook to scribble in.

Not really sure how to take pictures of my writing... but here are some pictures of my notebooks!!
View attachment 2420536
The words have kind of rubbed off on this one. But they are still legible.
View attachment 2420580
The inside of one of my favorite notebooks.
View attachment 2420581
I new notebook that I bought at Hobby Lobby... it's too nice to write in LOL
I only buy and write in notebooks with soft paper. Idk I'm a weirdo. But I have some that are also "too nice" to write in :lol:

#1) I LOVE anything arts and crafts. I knit, sew, cross stitch, diamond paint, sculpt, etc. One of my favorite things is that I get to share it with my son, who has shown a real interest in art and takes after me MUCH more than his dad ☺ And it's the art that I get to make with him that is always my favorite!

I'm lucky that I've been able to acquire a LOT of supplies over the years so I can make lots of interesting stuff. My craft box has stuff like fake human teeth and so when it comes to making monsters, our entries tend to usually win or at least place!

IMG_20201016_120947019.jpg

IMG_20190519_134408183.jpg

IMG_20200304_213257615.jpg

IMG_20190628_090052807.jpg

signal-2020-06-03-210305.jpg

IMG_20200524_130312875.jpg

IMG_20200115_191143714.jpg

(Yes, he's a finger person, lol. Too bad you can't see the back, it's shaped like a butt and legs. I take commissions all day, folks! 😆)
IMG_20200115_191110249.jpg

I painted these guys but I draw and paint on canvas too. I really need to start a portfolio instead of just cramming stuff into boxes when I move. Thank God Google Photos has a backup of the pictures, at least!

Last edited:
#1) I LOVE anything arts and crafts. I knit, sew, cross stitch, diamond paint, sculpt, etc. One of my favorite things is that I get to share it with my son, who has shown a real interest in art and takes after me MUCH more than his dad ☺

I'm lucky that I've been able to acquire a LOT of supplies over the years so I can make lots of interesting stuff. My craft box has stuff like fake human teeth and so when it comes to making monsters, our entries tend to usually win or at least place!

View attachment 2420978

Fake human teeth?!? :eek: Brilliant! Lol

#2) Reborn dolls!

Now, I KNOW this is a controversial hobby because people either love or absolutely hate reborn dolls. I was one of them! Until I bought an anatomically correct one for my son when he was a baby and then I was hooked. Like my aforementioned hobby, this one requires me to have some supplies on hand that make me look like a serial killer; glass eyes, fake hair, rooting needles, and baby doll parts just everywhere!

It is a labor of love for me. I'd LOVE to be able to make them professionally and sell them and I am definitely proficient enough at it that I could (although I've still got a LOT of learning to do when it comes to rooting patterns for baby heads 😆) but it's something that's brought me a lot of joy and it endears me to all of the little girls I ever meet ☺

I just got a new elf set I plan on working on over the winter...I'm really hoping they'll come out as beautiful as I hope they will!

20200916_204258.jpg

20200916_204334.jpg
Screenshot_20190627-112532.png

Screenshot_20200902-174043.png

Screenshot_20200902-174032.png

And I know I didn't make her but she IS a doll and this is JUST the place to show off some of my Barbie collection 😆

20200905_190536.jpg

You bet your butt I bought her!

Last edited:
I've always loved animals & making or repurposing or crafting. I was either drawing, painting or making something (hopefully more than a mess) since I was 3 yrs old. I used to give as unique gifts or sell sometimes at craft shows, anything from pen & ink, charcoal & watercolor to flower silk & eucalyptus arrangements or swags, handpainted fabric painted shirts, dream catchers with feathers from my birds, to woodwork items, from making little birdhouses or bird themed decor, dog houses from scrap wood out of construction site dumpsters, to repurposing or creating new uses for old furniture like storage, armiores, hutches, desks, etc. I like finding a use for things that would otherwise end up in a landfill. Even old tools can be displayed as art. It's fun being creative...keeps me out of trouble, too! 😆

(I've recently lost over 2,500 irreplaceable photos when I got a new phone, but have managed to find a few through old emails)

Attachments

• 20200930_202648.png
    20200930_202648.png
    384.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20110109_195955.jpg
    IMG_20110109_195955.jpg
    429.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom