Official BYC Poll: How Long Have You Been Raising Chickens?

How long have you been raising chickens?

• Under 6 months

Votes: 90 6.3%
  • 6 Months - 1 Year

Votes: 175 12.3%
  • 1 Year

Votes: 66 4.7%
  • 2 Years

Votes: 127 9.0%
  • 3 Years

Votes: 122 8.6%
  • 4 Years

Votes: 110 7.8%
  • 5 Years

Votes: 76 5.4%
  • 6 Years

Votes: 86 6.1%
  • 7 Years

Votes: 59 4.2%
  • 8 Years

Votes: 47 3.3%
  • 9 Years

Votes: 48 3.4%
  • 10 Years

Votes: 68 4.8%
  • 11 - 20 Years

Votes: 180 12.7%
  • 21 - 50 Years

Votes: 109 7.7%
  • 51 - 75 Years

Votes: 24 1.7%
  • 75 Years and over

Votes: 3 0.2%
  • No chickens yet, but hopefully soon!

Votes: 28 2.0%

• Total voters
Pics
They sleep outside in the coop. When I got my first four chicks, I bought them at a flea market and brought them home with no coop or knowing anything about chickens. I put them in a dog cage with the heating lamps and they stayed indoors for about four months.
By then I bought a small coop and moved them outside. I lost Cookie to a hawk and Blackie to a mean Rooster who she hated and would fight with all the time. Anyway, I believe because Rocky and Sweetie were raised indoors they have no fear of being inside. They don't jump on the tables or furniture either. I have let other chickens in, they are curious but I have to keep an eye on them because they will jump up on the furniture. None of they others seem to care to stay in too long and always head to the door to go back out after they've looked around.
Rocky used to sit on the couch with me (I put protection under her of course) and watch TV with me. She liked me to pet her and would nuzzle up to me. But, when she felt it was time to go to bed, she'd stand on the edge of the couch and wait for me to set her on the floor. She didn't like jumping if she didn't have to because she would slide on the floor. Just like Sweetie, every morning she would go to the back door to be let out and take charge of the other chickens until it was time to go to bed again. Occasionally, in the summer she would come in and sit on the floor for a couple of hours. I guess she was cooling off from the heat.
I really miss that chick!
That's adorable! Thanks for sharing the story!

We inherited 13 chickens when we bought our acreage. They were all Rhode Island reds and were not raised very well. One died shortly after we got them. We fixed up the barn they roosted in and fed them more food, vitamins, etc and they got nice and fat and laid great brown eggs. We gave them all away a year later so we could travel more, but missed having the eggs and taking care of them, so we got 6 new ones, built a nice solid coop and chicken court yard (run) closer to the house and now we have 4 different breeds--one Buff Orpington (Buffy), One New Hampshire Red (Hedy), two Plymouth Rock Barred (twins, Maya and Angela) and two loony Polish--one golden lace (Garbo, she likes to be alone) and black lace (Mildred Pierce--always ready for her closeup. They are like pets and enjoy them. Can't see not having chickens again.

Attachments

• DSC02536.JPG
    DSC02536.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 7
  • Buffy2.JPG
    Buffy2.JPG
    769.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 20191103_155701-3.jpg
    20191103_155701-3.jpg
    598.3 KB · Views: 7
PART 1)
IMG_20180225_183036269.jpg
IMG_20180225_183036269.jpg These group of 6 were my first girls since age 4. I often got three yolk eggs from them :) When I was little my grandpa and grams always had chickens, they followed me everywhere . I was always following them. Grams one day found a clutch of babies in the timber where " onry Lisa" (grams fav hen) had been hiding out!
So be it! Babies!! They were gathered up and placed in a pen with momma. I'd check them constantly and cry when grams made me go inside.After a few days I noticed onry Lisa pecking hard at the babes.or what I felt was hard. So decision made! Went and got ALL the Band-Aids and sat inside the pin to bandage up some babies!! By the time I was found out, onry Lisa also had a band-aid on her head, just because! I was 4. Our family loves telling this one. Apparently Band-Aids were expensive and hard to get, I never heard the end of it from Grandpa & Grams. 20180306_143335-ANIMATION.gif

12 years ago I was thrown from my horse and ended up with a broken wrist that will never work right again. Decided I don’t bounce like I used to so I sold my horses. It left a hole in my heart. Then I hatched out a few dozen random farm chicks about 7 years ago and have been in love ever since. I raised my own thanksgiving turkey and learned to process my own meat birds. Raised a few Peafowl and a variety of chickens. This year I am excited to see how my cinnamon queens do.

Back
Top Bottom