Official BYC Poll: Is your RUN Covered or Not?

Is your RUN covered or uncovered

• Total voters
Pics
You were quoting me, and I have no idea what roof tubes are.
I used large heavy hose clamps to attach the metal corner pieces to the t-post.
Never mind, that was just what you called the metal corner pieces. Dah..... Sorry
Oops, sorry.<blushes>
Roof tubes is the tubing the roof framing is made out of.
Wondered if the Tposts fit inside the roof tubes.

Oops, sorry.<blushes>
Probably if you got bigger size tubes. I only have the 1". So I but it up in the T part of the t-post. And the heavy duty hose clamps hold for years. Have a goose/duck that is almost 20 years old made like that. I can get them and the chain link top post delivered. Wish I could get metal roofing delivered but I settle with a tarp.
DD4F09B3-07E8-4EB1-B4E6-BFA077833129.jpeg

Oops, sorry.<blushes>
Probably if you got bigger size tubes. They have 1 3/8" and 1 5/8". I only have the 1". So I but it up in the T part of the t-post. And the heavy duty hose clamps hold for years. Have a goose/duck that is almost 20 years old made like that. I can get them and the chain link top post delivered. Wish I could get metal roofing delivered but I settle with a tarp.View attachment 2228777

Of course if money was no issue and you had an easy way to make it happen (no trees in the way) I’m sure most people would have a cover run.

However, what is your current run like? Covered/ uncovered, size and what is the floor/ bedding made up of?

*please feel free to add a photo of your setup!

(Check out more Official BYC Polls HERE!)
My run is finishing up being constructed as we speak or as I type. However the dimensions are 7feet high on the North side with Hardware cloth, and 6’3” high on the South side also with Hardware cloth. Then the width of the run is about 10 feet. The entire sides are made of Heavy gauge hardware cloth and the top of the run is a Solid ridged White Metal roof slanting for rain run off from the North to the South side. We get quite a bit of rain here usually with snow and ice being a rarity. They do happen but we have more predators and tornadoes than anything and they are as common as getting up and having to feed your chickens daily. I chose to have the metal roof be white to reflect the heat instead of attract it by using a dark color. The coop will be a light yellow painted siding with white trim and the roof on the run will run straight from the coop. It is not in one solid piece because that would be too large to handle and work with even to be delivered. We would have had to rent a crane. That’s a little extreme for a chicken coop. We are already going a little out but my daughter wanted to make it as cute as possible so she gets to paint and decorate. A good project for a 23 year old in the Mississippi heat a humidity. Don’t y’all agree?
I can’t wait to get my chicks in it this week!

😊😊😊😊

My run is finishing up being constructed as we speak or as I type. However the dimensions are 7feet high on the North side with Hardware cloth, and 6’3” high on the South side also with Hardware cloth. Then the width of the run is about 10 feet. The entire sides are made of Heavy gauge hardware cloth and the top of the run is a Solid ridged White Metal roof slanting for rain run off from the North to the South side. We get quite a bit of rain here usually with snow and ice being a rarity. They do happen but we have more predators and tornadoes than anything and they are as common as getting up and having to feed your chickens daily. I chose to have the metal roof be white to reflect the heat instead of attract it by using a dark color. The coop will be a light yellow painted siding with white trim and the roof on the run will run straight from the coop. It is not in one solid piece because that would be too large to handle and work with even to be delivered. We would have had to rent a crane. That’s a little extreme for a chicken coop. We are already going a little out but my daughter wanted to make it as cute as possible so she gets to paint and decorate. A good project for a 23 year old in the Mississippi heat a humidity. Don’t y’all agree?
I can’t wait to get my chicks in it this week!

😊😊😊😊
Oh I forgot to add the length of the run. Sorry. The run is about 35 feet long or so. They have a good area spacious enough to be outside enjoying themselves in safely everyday. The only real issue I should have to worry about is heat, storms, and people doing any harm or wrong to them. Otherwise we should be okay.

YES, covered!
Honestly, we can't understand someone not covering the run, and we mean a roof, not just hardware cloth. Ours has a clear corrugated plastic roof. It is also angled---(shed style roof---no snow issues).
They have sun, but the run is completely predator proof and they are out of the rain and snow.
Everyone has to do what works for them

YES, covered!
Honestly, we can't understand someone not covering the run, and we mean a roof, not just hardware cloth. Ours has a clear corrugated plastic roof. It is also angled---(shed style roof---no snow issues).
They have sun, but the run is completely predator proof and they are out of the rain and snow.
My 20x40 foot fenced area has almost complete tree cover only but I lock them up in their coop at night. I've never had a problem. I let them out on my half acre back yard every evening to free range also.

Back
Top Bottom