Votes: 58 2.1%
  • Skunk

Votes: 26 0.9%
  • Rats

Votes: 56 2.0%
  • Cats

Votes: 52 1.9%

• Total voters
Working 4 a vet I've seen vultures pecking the eyes of newborn calves and destroying the vulva of the down momma cow. They are varacious.

Not to worry, I have it on good authority from a very knowledgeable source on this forum (ask him yourself) that Black Bears only eat organic asparagus cooked by renewable energy, and that they never ever eye Christopher Robin's honey pot with evil intent. So tell me, what can go wrong?
Glad to see you're still able to properly construct a straw-man argument.

I'm not sure an electric fence would keep a weasel or mink out. If it is a single strand type fence, even with multiple strands, then absolutely not. Even if it is one of the grid fences, one of those incredibly speedy and tiny predators can shoot the gap with or without an electrical pulse. Those fences aren't constantly charged.

Interesting. On the West Coast the most destructive predators in my case have been raccoons that killed ducks, chickens and turtles for little more than sadistic sport. An electric fence works for them; glad there aren't weasels around.

ha, if a wiesel is determined it WILL find a way into your coop. electric fence will make the odds of losing chickens MUCH lower but remember this no matter how much security you have unless they live in your house an animal will get in to the coop you may not get predators but even vegetarians like porkupines will chew up the wood of the coop letting other animals in.

Recently lost our dear Lucy to the biggest owl I have ever seen here in Northern CA. It rained for two days, and on the third right at dusk before I was able to get all the ladies in the coop. We are so heartbroken, this was our first loss of the flock. We have learned A LOT and are now making a more safe "free range" area for them. :(

Recently lost our dear Lucy to the biggest owl I have ever seen here in Northern CA. It rained for two days, and on the third right at dusk before I was able to get all the ladies in the coop. We are so heartbroken, this was our first loss of the flock. We have learned A LOT and are now making a more safe "free range" area for them. :(

That's so sad, I'm sorry for your loss. Hanging CD's close to areas where your birds will run for cover, helps to deter hawks. and I imagine it will work for owls, too. It doesn't have to be a lot of CD's, or hung around so they look trashy. You can even make a mobile using just a couple, and add some shiny ribbon that blows around. Or you can use commercially made wind spinners too.

Back
Top Bottom