Most common chicken killing predators?

What's the most common predator in your area?

• Bear

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Fox

Votes: 25 33.8%
  • Raccoon

Votes: 44 59.5%
  • Hunters

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hawk

Votes: 44 59.5%
  • Owl

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Possums

Votes: 19 25.7%
  • Skunks

Votes: 8 10.8%
  • Bobcats

Votes: 7 9.5%
  • House Cats

• Large Cats

• Coyote

Votes: 20 27.0%
  • Dog

Votes: 21 28.4%

• Total voters
In my area it is DOGS! People drop them off thinking a farm will be a good place for their dog to live. I have 38 Speckled Sussex and they free range. I also have 22 Mammoth Jackstock Donkeys. Where ever the donkeys go the Chickens always stay with them. The Donkeys take care of Dogs quickly.
At least you have some form of defense; the donkeys. Also, you have a LOT of donkeys!

How about "All of the above and a few extras!"
For me the worst are 1. Fox 2. Bobcat 3. Coyote 4. Big Cat 5. Owl Followed by all the rest plus a critter we've been told is probably a pine martin.
And humans..... We've a migratory flock of human types that come through the area randomly moving up and down the highway between us and the coastal towns. Many are drug users from the several abandoned meth labs that have been found, all seem to think any unattended chicken is fair game.
My coop is padlocked and my wire is heavy gage, with a security camera clearly posted pointing at the coop. Some days I no longer think keeping chickens are worth the hassle. I can deal with the critters, the human predator's have about broke me.

And humans..... We've a migratory flock of human types that come through the area randomly moving up and down the highway between us and the coastal towns. Many are drug users from the several abandoned meth labs that have been found, all seem to think any unattended chicken is fair game.
Dang, you got deep there. But I do get your point; humans are actually a pretty bad predator all the time.

Back
Top Bottom