Official BYC Poll: What Do You Do With Your Aggressive Roosters?

What Do You Do With Your Aggressive Roosters?

• I discipline/train them as adults

Votes: 74 22.8%
  • I train/tame them from young

Votes: 97 29.8%
  • I re-home/give them away

Votes: 81 24.9%
  • They end up in my pot

Votes: 134 41.2%
  • I've never had an aggressive rooster

Votes: 38 11.7%
  • I don't have/keep any roosters

Votes: 42 12.9%
  • Other (please elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 31 9.5%

• Total voters
I have 5 Roosters they all live together with the hens. One Midnight Majesty Marans, a Black Jersey Giant, a Buckeye, Lavender Orpington and mixed breed hatched out from my flock, part Midnight Majesty Marans and part Easter Egger. Only one of my Rossters ever got a little aggressive when he hit his teen age stage, I picked him up instantly and walked around with him, he has been wonderful ever since. All my Rooster were interacted with when chicks and grew up together. They get along well together and I have never seen any serious fights between them, just an occasional chase or peck, never any blood letting! :)

My aunt had a beautiful Australop rooster when I was younger...one of her husbands drunk friends gifted her the flock when they were pullets...he was sooo nice...nicer than the super trained hens....until the dude came to my aunt when he was drunk and went in the coop at like 1am to grab a hen (the hens screamed n freaked....so the rooster flogged him across the face.....he then snapped his neck....immediately... I still hate the dude till this day... I love roo’s and if I could have one, I wouldn’t mind him mean or nice....if he was aggressive, it wouldn’t be just towards me for no reason...he’s protecting his ladies ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️
I agree with you and am sad about what happened to your Roo. Roosters can be tamed and can make nice pets. I have 5 and all are great. Of course I researched for gentler breeds and spent time with them. I was rushed at twice by one of my Roos when he was just getting into his teenage years with his hormones raging, I picked up one of the hens and she screamed bloody murder, he came at me to protect her, I did not run scared, I think that is the mistake most people make, instead I reached down instantly and picked him up and carried him around the pen for a few minutes, he was not happy, I did not hurt him or hit him, such a thing is totally not needed. He did it one more time in a similar situation and I repeated what I did the first time. That was about a year and a half ago and he has never done it since, he doesn't even look at me side ways. My other Roosters have never attacked me at all. My Roosters are Black Jersey Giant, Buckeye, Lavender Orpington, a mixed breed I hatched out from my flock, and Midnight Majesty Marans who by the way was the man who needed the lesson on who the Boss is! :) My Avatar is him at about 6 months old.

He was a sweetheart till he got about 2years old. I used to discipline him. But i do not have the time to be disciplining him every time he attacks me. So now i just ignore him when he attacks my legs. And when one of the grand babies comes over i catch him and pen him up just to be on the safe side.

I haven't had any human-aggressive roosters lately but they dance around the hens all day and seem pretty aggressive with their breeding etc. Idk if it's just because it's spring or I need to make more soup.

I tried being nice, I tried being nasty (which was quite satisfying I confess) but things only got better after I did what this guy does.

I remember watching this video, along with some other vids and blog suggestions but in the end it didn't work for me. :/ They had some good advice that I imagine would work for many people though. Some people sadly suggest dangerous or abusive things. Things in my case would improve for a matter of hours and then he'd have another go at me which became ridiculously time consuming and he was a danger to the pullets. He was biting me and drawing blood often despite being hand-raised. When he was about 5 months old or so (and very large) I was able to trade him back to where I got him for a beautiful pullet from the group he was hatched (which was its own adventure).

I remember watching this video, along with some other vids and blog suggestions but in the end it didn't work for me. :/ They had some good advice that I imagine would work for many people though. Some people sadly suggest dangerous or abusive things. Things in my case would improve for a matter of hours and then he'd have another go at me which became ridiculously time consuming and he was a danger to the pullets. He was biting me and drawing blood often despite being hand-raised. When he was about 5 months old or so (and very large) I was able to trade him back to where I got him for a beautiful pullet from the group he was hatched (which was its own adventure).
Really? That sucks! I was hopping such a trick would work in all cases. Once we were done the dynamic of the whole flock changed completely for the better.

This rooster is nice to the other chickens and leaves the young ones alone. He's also very protective of the flock and I appreciate this as we're in the middle of the forest with plenty of predators.

Oh, one thing I have to mention. If I'm dressed differently there's a chance he'll have a go at me again lol. Good looking but not the brightest.

Really? That sucks! I was hopping such a trick would work in all cases. Once we were done the dynamic of the whole flock changed completely for the better.

This rooster is nice to the other chickens and leaves the young ones alone. He's also very protective of the flock and I appreciate this as we're in the middle of the forest with plenty of predators.

Oh, one thing I have to mention. If I'm dressed differently there's a chance he'll have a go at me again lol. Good looking but not the brightest.

Maybe if I had had more time to work with him it would have eventually worked? But he injured one pullet so badly it took 3 weeks to heal so I didn't trust him afterwards. And living separated, even in sight of the others, isn't much of a life. Oddly he easily learned other things, like to go sleep in our woodshed?! But where he was related to at least some of my flock (there wasn't quite enough time between different roosters so I had some unexpected genetics) I wouldn't have wanted him for breeding. He was so determined it seemed like I could spend months working with him and be in the same boat. He would leave the pullets and lurk on the other side of the property waiting to see if I would come out other doors then run for me. :rolleyes: One time he was so focused on me he tripped over a flower pot. Still wish I'd gotten a video!

I chose other, because it depends on what "aggressive" means. I've never actually had a roo that was aggressive towards humans, so I can only guess as to what I would do in that situation. I might tolerate it for a bit, and try to train him. But if that didn't work.... he's probably either going to the pot or somebody else's house.
I have had a roo that was aggressive to my hens. My two favorite hens. I named him Stu. And, yup. We ate him.

But if I had had him when he was younger, and bonded with him then, he might have lasted longer.

Does this article go for Drakes too? I have a Drake that as been an absolute ass to the adolescent ducks and mama ducks. Everyone is missing feathers on their heads so I've separated him. I'd planned on making him dinner. But if there are others ways im interested, he is an absolutely beautiful Jumbo Pekin.

Sure as #3!! goes for my Drakes, also Pekins. Dinner.

Back
Top Bottom