Which Breeds of Roosters Which Live With Hens Are Aggressive Toward People?

Which Breeds of Roosters Which Are in a Flock of Hens, Are Aggressive Toward Their Owners?

• Total voters
My first chicks were EE’s, rir and barred rock. Out of five EE’s 2 were roosters. One definitely was the head honcho from the start. He always gave the evil eye but was fairly friendly. One ee Roos disappeared and the barred rock was a rooster. The ee completely ruled the whole flock and kept the barred rock on the fringes of the flock. The ee roo did occasionally give me grief if he felt the hens were threatened. I took to carrying a shovel with me in case he woke up on the wrong side of the perch. The barred rock who was shunned and not allowed to breed was totally sweet. Followed us around like a dog. Showed no aggression. The ee was recently killed by a dog and the barred rock took over the flock. He is the best rooster ever. So good with the hens and never aggressive. I always make sure he has to give way to me every day just to keep him in his place. All my new chicks are by him. I really think that this might be the best way to go. Have two Roos. One will be dominant and one submissive. Get rid of dominant one and the other should be good. Hopefully.
On another note my rir hens are definitely the more aggressive of all my hens. They’re not aggressive to me just all the hens. They take every opportunity to make sure that everyone knows they’re tough. Great layers though.

This is a poll to see what breeds of roosters are aggressive when the rooster realizes he is surrounded by women. I have seen many complain about this when their rooster becomes of age and wants to protect his girls from anyone and everyone they see as a threat.
I have also heard some people say that their rooster never attacked anyone, even though it was in a flock of ladies.
I am interested in finding out which ones tend to be aggressive and which ones are mild.
If you have a rooster that doesn't attack people when they visit the chicken yard, feel free to post the breed in the comments.
My EE roo was quite aggressive to others, and mildly aggressive to me, until very recently. My Sapphire Gem roo was mildly aggressive until February. Neither of them attack me anymore, and my SG no longer attacks others. My EE, on the other hand, attempted to attack my 1.5 year old nephew through the run fence on Easter; his attempt was thwarted by my SG roo, which intervened and protected my nephew. This is my first time raising chickens, so I do not know if these behaviors are due to their breeds. They have all just turned 1 year old.

Human aggression is an individual mental defect, not a breed trait. In my opinion, its a result of a rooster imprinting on humans.

Human aggression is not related to protectiveness of hens. Human-aggressive roosters are often the first to run when they’re overwhelmed.

Although like many people, I’ve known a particularly dangerous Rhode Island Red. But I still don’t think its a breed trait, except to the extent some breeds and lines may have had the imprinting process heavily modified through selective breeding, perhaps making it harder or easier for a chick to imprint. I did see a study that indicated that red junglefowl have more flexible imprinting behaviors than white leghorns, so imprinting behavior can be breed specific. Part of the inconsistency of predicting the occurrence of human aggression could be due to variances in imprinting, both by the genetics of the chick and the behaviors of the humans around the incubator.

Last edited:
My Birchen Cochin is a jerk! He was so sweet and Docile as a cockerel but when he came of age he is a jerk! But we love him! Lol! He flogs,Spurs us chases My Boys, my husband myself the dogs anyone who is too close to his women. He warns us first but we basically have to always be aware of where he is at when his flock is out or when in their run, He has no problem letting us know it don’t matter if in Their run or out roaming stay away! He is always watching us.
Now my Black and Splash Silkie Rooster are the sweetest! So docile and loving! We can pick them up pet them they make a funny noise when we pet them and close their eyes. I have tried to hold my birchen coaching like i did while he was young but he bite my chest and broke my skin so I love him from a distance and respect he is just doing his job!

I just got a whole flock of pullets (11), various kinds, and I hope that none of them are roosters. I am a little concerned because 4 weeks ago, I got 2 barred rocks and 1 astrolorp. One of the barred rocks stayed tiny, although she is growing now, but compared to the other one, she is very small. At first, I was concerned about her being healthy. But now my new concern is that perhaps the bigger one is a rooster. One thing I did notice though was that the bigger one's feathers changed quickly and she looked like a barred rock, whereas the other tiny one's feathers just started to change and she now looks like a barred rock so I am thinking that maybe there is a difference in their ages. I don't know what it would be like to have a barred rock rooster, and I hope I don't have to find out!

I have had a string of roosters in the past, of various breeds, all of them were moderately aggressive to me. What really did it was when the rooster went after one of the grandchildren. That rooster did not live long after that. Our current rooster is a black laced red Wyandotte, he was supposed to be a pullet chick, turned out to be a cockerel. He is very mild mannered, has never been aggressive toward me or my wife or any children. Does a fine job with the hens.

Wow, that's sad. That's how our rooster was and he never changed. The only thing that worked was using a yellow towel that he hated. I would throw it at him when he attacked us.
Is yours a Buff Orpington rooster?
Yes he’s a rooster. I have 6 hens and they’re as gentle as can be. But that roo is something else…

Back
Top Bottom