Which Breeds of Roosters Which Live With Hens Are Aggressive Toward People?

Which Breeds of Roosters Which Are in a Flock of Hens, Are Aggressive Toward Their Owners?

• Total voters

Awestruck

Songster
11 Years
May 15, 2012
This is a poll to see what breeds of roosters are aggressive when the rooster realizes he is surrounded by women. I have seen many complain about this when their rooster becomes of age and wants to protect his girls from anyone and everyone they see as a threat.
I have also heard some people say that their rooster never attacked anyone, even though it was in a flock of ladies.
I am interested in finding out which ones tend to be aggressive and which ones are mild.
If you have a rooster that doesn't attack people when they visit the chicken yard, feel free to post the breed in the comments.

I am a young woman, and none of my roosters have ever attacked me.
My least aggressive is a Light Sussex, I would be happy to have any kids or anything around him.
My Light Sussex x Cuckoo Orpington rooster is very good, but I wouldn't let kids play around him, for example. He takes is job very seriously, is very intelligent and watchful.
He is very trusting with me, and the rest of the family, and brings his hens to meet me.
I have had a few RIR x cockerels that would give me the 'eye' and grabbed my jeans a few times, which is plenty to make me get rid of them, but I have little doubts that as they got older they would have mostly settled down.

There are breed and family tendencies, but there are good and bad boys in every breed. And it doesn't matter a whole lot if the rooster is in a flock of hens, or a group of other roosters. Human aggression is separate from many other behaviors.
For really peaceful, I'd vote for Salmon Favorelles. For more likely to be human aggressive, hatchery Rhode Island Reds. And there are exceptions in both breeds.
Mary

Before I got chickens in 2017, my daughter warned me to not get a Rhode Island Red. When I started looking for pullets, I was afraid I wasn't going to find anything, so, out of kind of desperation, the first one I got was a Rhode Island Red.
The Rhode Island Red ended up being a rooster. In a lot of ways, he was good with the girls. But sometimes, he was rough. I ended up getting saddles for the girls because their backs were becoming bare.
But he started getting nasty with all of us, even me. He would attack anyone going out there in the chicken yard. It was such a bad experience that I don't think my husband ever wanted any more chickens.
Somehow, he died mysteriously one day.
He attacked my mom though and also a friend who was painting our house.
So, now we are on the next round of pullets, and none of them are Rhode Island Reds, just in case! There could be a rooster in the bunch but I don't know how he would respond when the girls get bigger.

Our Cackle white Chanteclers have all been good, at least so far. I haven't kept all of them beyond six or so months of age, so ???
Having roosters is a learning experience, and having a cockerel who's an idiot shows what behaviors begin that downward spiral into awfulness. So, next round, don't wait for actual attacks and injuries!
Mary

I don't think the answer is breed specific. I think any rooster of any breed may be aggressive, and any rooster of any breed is just as likely to be docile. There are so many factors, of which genetics is only one. Flock dynamics is another. Human-chicken interaction is yet another. Then there is simply temperament. We just hatched six eggs a few weeks ago. All were blue/green, which means mom was an EE or mixed breed. Dad is a barnyard mix as well. One of the chicks started pecking at my hand on DAY THREE when I cleaned the brooder. He pecked every day until they moved outdoors. Darling fellow. He'll make good soup in a few weeks, along with his brothers.

Back
Top Bottom