• Meat

Votes: 640 26.4%
  • Fertilizer

Votes: 924 38.1%
  • Bug Control

Votes: 1,018 42.0%
  • More interesting and/or easy than other animals

Votes: 642 26.5%
  • Other (please specify in reply comments)

Votes: 257 10.6%
  • Showing & Exhibition

Votes: 219 9.0%

• Total voters
Our chickens our so good for everyday entertainment and their eggs are the best of the best! But once you look at the big picture one day there won't be an egg in the store unless it's a golden one.

Sorry but I don't understand your statement, "But once you look at the big picture one day there won't be an egg in the store unless it's a golden one." Can you tell me what the "Big Picture" is?

Maybe because I live in the Philippines the reference is just over my head. Thanks.

Jim :)

My "other" is that I have 8 children and my mother and I wanted them to know where their food came from and how nature works: Chickens forage, excrete, excrement goes into compost, compost feeds the garden, the garden feeds us. DH and I bought this small acreage right about the time Mom was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. She fought for a year and a half, but ultimately passed away. I was a difficult child/teen, raised in town and learned as little as possible about her passion when I had the opportunity. Mom was going to teach me along with my children.

It took us a couple years, but the children and I finally determined that we would just have to learn on our own and provide the legacy Mom wanted to give us without her. No small task, in my eyes, since she was raised with chickens and livestock, and had gardened "organically" from forever. It's been 3 years of learning on BYC, reading people like Harvey Ussery, and trial and error, but I think I've made her proud. DH is not particularly enamored with the whole project but has supported us by building every single thing we've asked for. Our children really know their stuff and eat very differently now because of the education we've given ourselves to honor her. She was a grandmother who gave apples for treats, not candy, and explained the difference between how candy will actually bring your immune system down for several minutes after eating it, whereas an apple will strengthen the immune system.

My "other" reason is to provide a legacy on my Mom's behalf.

What a wonderful legacy you are giving your children.
celebrate.gif

I like to use them for entertainment. Yes, entertainment. I mean come on, you probably always giggle when your chickies do something crazy. The other day my two silver laced wyandottes did the craziest thing. First,polka jumped on the chicken coop because someone left the treats up their, with my wyandottes where one goes, the other one follows. So they ate up a bunch of treats. Luckily, the treat was watermelon.

The eggs mostly . We do put the meat in the freezer but the eggs make it possible for the kids to bake nonstop . Not to mention they keep my flower beds cleaned up . They roam my garden and work over the bugs . Plus they amuse me . One in particular I have is worse than a monkey or a coon . Gets into everything -- the washer, my truck, the sink, my seedlings, my beverages ...but that dude is such a smooth talker he continues to get away with it.

Our chicks have been home for less than two weeks and they are already pampered family members. That is why we have chickens.

Started with chickens for the eggs, knowing they would become pets... Thought they would be a good way to gauge my livestock commitment. My other: Entertainment. I had no idea.

My "other" is for educational purposes for my children. Also my spouse built a hideous shed just outside the kitchen window, I have to look at it all day. He HATES chickens, thinks they are disgusting, dirty animals. I on the other hand have always wanted to keep chickens, He always put up a fight against keeping them. I decided that if I have to look at that awful shed, I will at least be able to enjoy some chickens! The coop that I built is so much nicer to look at than his ugly shed (unfortunately, I cant see it from the house because his shed is in the way) I guess that makes my "other" education and revenge.... cluck,cluck,cluck.

Back
Top Bottom