• Meat

Votes: 640 26.4%
  • Fertilizer

Votes: 924 38.1%
  • Bug Control

Votes: 1,018 42.0%
  • More interesting and/or easy than other animals

Votes: 642 26.5%
  • Other (please specify in reply comments)

Votes: 257 10.6%
  • Showing & Exhibition

Votes: 219 9.0%

• Total voters
I will be retiring soon and living off social security. Poultry will be my primary source of protein. Eggs mostly but I will raise up some meaties for the pantry... (canning) the Guineas will keep me secure knowing who is about on the property....

Plus I am a crafter so will be using all good feathers for different projects.

deb

I wanted the extra income now that I am retired. I have lost most my vision and have a laundry list of issue's I am legally blind so the birds also give me a reason to get everyday..
I choose them also for the protein source

I thought great fresh eggs, but the more I read about chickens and do my research ( which is what I enjoy doing) they are so Multi purpose and fun to watch why wouldn't you want a chicken or two. I am retired and this is a great way to help me keep busy. I also have 3 dogs, 4 cats and a hubby who puts up and joins in with all this. One more thing that makes us happy.

Mraya

Last edited:
Definitely therapy as mentioned by an early poster!

And I was gonna say entertainment...

But today I will have to add... to make new friends!! :hugs I met another BYC'er who drove 7 hours and we had such a great time. :love

If not for the chickens I would never go outdoors in the beautiful PNW during our rainy season.. so they also help to keep me moving and maintain physical fitness as well as better mental health. :old

It's been a lifelong dream of mine to have chickens. Why? I'm not sure. I just got my first chickens 3 weeks ago. They are laying age. 3 Icelandics, 1 Swedish Flower Hen. Also have 3 Blue Isbar chicks brooding w/ a friends chicks. We live in city limits, so we can not have roosters. The Flower Hen is ill. I think she was egg-bound. We think she probably had problems when we got her but I'm new at this and didn't recognize signs early on. Have received great info on this site and plenty of time, help and support from people with chickens. Some of whom I barely knew. A lot of attention and care have gone into this girl for over a week. At a reunion yesterday I was asked this very question. "Why do you want chickens??" Well, I suppose there are dozens of reasons, but one thing has been clear to me these past few weeks. Chickens bring people together!

I raise chickens for eggs, and because of the inhumane practices of industrial agriculture. I want my eggs to come from chickens that have happy lives. By default, they become friends, too, because that's what life is about.

There is a big entertainment factor as well. Watching them run across the yard when called always makes me laugh.
But there is also the frustration factor in having them underfoot when trying to do chores in the run. Can't get mad at them, they think they are helping. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom