• Meat

Votes: 640 26.4%
  • Fertilizer

Votes: 924 38.1%
  • Bug Control

Votes: 1,018 42.0%
  • More interesting and/or easy than other animals

Votes: 642 26.5%
  • Other (please specify in reply comments)

Votes: 257 10.6%
  • Showing & Exhibition

Votes: 219 9.0%

• Total voters
I started raising chicken three years ago and initially got them for a hobby and wanted the fresh eggs. My egg supplier passed away and I missed the taste of the home eggs. The chickens are not only my egg layers, but are also my pets and a great stress reliever. I love to just sit out in the run and watch their antics. The dogs love them (just for their chicken treats) and they are good for the yard.

I've started keeping chickens, this spring, eventually for the eggs, for the wonderful fertilizer they're going to make for me, and maybe for meat (if I have any roosters). I'm also finding them to be very stress relieving, watching their activities.

At first we got chickens for the eggs, but me and my siblings had them all named within the first week! :lol: "Pets with a purpose," as I like to call them.

I was speaking with a reporter today and he asked why people raise chickens. I'm hoping with this poll that we can get an idea of the % of people that raise chickens for different purposes.

Please select all that apply!

Thanks!

I enjoy the eggs, but when we didn't have chickens for a while what I missed most- and what I wanted them back the most for- was the "garbage disposal" aspect. I dislike throwing away food, I'd much rather throw it to a chicken! We waste a lot less when a so many of our scraps get turned into eggs.

I choose to raise chickens due to always being out of eggs and the displeasure of going to the store. Although it is a big responsibility to care for and supply the needs of these ungrateful divas, I have no regrets! Being able to reap the rewards everyday is the true gift.

I love fresh eggs and that is certainly a big reason why I have chickens,but I also just love having them running around the place. They are highly amusing to watch.

We essentially got chickens for eggs and because l wouldn't stop pestering my parents, now we have a rooster and will eat the hatched roos, l enjoy chickens, and l am hoping to convince my parents to do show and sell by breeding my btw japanese roo with a hen and showing and selling their chicks at the fair.

Back
Top Bottom