• Meat

Votes: 640 26.4%
  • Fertilizer

Votes: 924 38.1%
  • Bug Control

Votes: 1,018 42.0%
  • More interesting and/or easy than other animals

Votes: 642 26.5%
  • Other (please specify in reply comments)

Votes: 257 10.6%
  • Showing & Exhibition

Votes: 219 9.0%

• Total voters
I began raising chickens (cochin bantams) to keep my grandfather's hobby alive. He raised the same type of birds as me. Since then it has grown to other bantam breeds and breeding to sell to others

They're good pets, the fresh eggs are delicious, they are much more flavorful than store bought chickens, they produce fertilizer for the garden, and I show them.

First and formost,
ours are strictly pets. Fresh eggs for cooking and baking, pest control, and fertiliser are a wonderful bonuses. Our girls will only know the inside of a frying pan if it is left on the floor. :)

Pets, eggs, meat. fertilizer, bug control plus
Re: other

Live with 24/7 neck pain. They give me a reason to get up each morning and do something I enjoy with my life. - disabled - unable to work :(

It really depends who you ask in this household. To me, they're multipurpose pets-with-benefits. Ask my spouse, and it's all about the eggs. According to my daughter and her friends, they're the coolest pets in the world. Pretty much the only thing we don't use them for is meat. Kudos to those who can do it; I'm just a big softie.

I'm just a big softie.

No worries, if I didn't have someone that could butcher for me, they would never hit the freezer. I get a lot of cockerels with broodys and my girls can only handle one roo. Mister is the best all around rooster I have had. He won't be going anywhere either. Dog tried to kill him about a week ago. Saved all the girls tho. Sent them all home.

With all the new chicks, some of the older girls may have to go. But sweeties will not be going anywhere any time soon.

She is the smallest EE and my best friend. Broodys won't be going anywhere either...

Oh and all meanies go.

Back
Top Bottom