• Meat

Votes: 640 26.4%
  • Fertilizer

Votes: 924 38.1%
  • Bug Control

Votes: 1,018 42.0%
  • More interesting and/or easy than other animals

Votes: 642 26.5%
  • Other (please specify in reply comments)

Votes: 257 10.6%
  • Showing & Exhibition

Votes: 219 9.0%

• Total voters
I chose eggs, however, they are more than that. They are pets, and a part of the family. Including the mystery barred rock that quarantined herself with the NEW barred rock. Go figure.

I LOVE CHICKENS!!!
big_smile.png

And they always bring a smile when I watch them do their little "chicken" things.

There is a bit of nostalgia for me keeping chickens. My grandparents, whom we visited weekly, kept a small flock of about 30 hens for meat and eggs, and four really cute curly feathered bantams. My sister and I made pets of a few of these hens, they were so sweet and never eaten. I guess I've been looking forward to keeping chickens again for pets my entire adulthood.

Have alway liked birds. Cannot have indoor caged birds anymore because of the cats. (bad canary incident) and because of the noise.

They're so easy outside.

My first 3 were given to me as pets, from a dear friend who had them as a cure for cancer, and knew I wouldn't eat them.

Don't think I would give them up.

Imp/Russ

Last edited:
The biggest reason why we keep chickens is because it is a food source that I can controll. No chemicals, steroids, growth hormones, etc. From free range in the back yard to fresh eggs on the table. Saves money too. The chicken feed costs us but we don't have to spend money at the grocery store on eggs and meat (if we choose to process our birds.)

cause they were different..

none of my friends have them

i remember as a child at our cottage there was a farmer (my sister later married the farmers son) but they always had chickens and they were funny

Why do I raise chickens?
I suppose my reason is that I just see chickens being something like American apple pie. It's such a part of our history, survival, love of and need for having animals around us. I certainly don't raise them for eggs and meat because I only eat a couple of their better-than-store-bought eggs a week, and presently, I wouldn't even consider killing one of my hens or my rooster; the rooster gets threatened often though. It's just a nice feeling having them around, interesting to watch and study them, and at times doing battle with the meanest rooster in four states. With that said, it's good to know too that if a national emergency or hard times came, I would have a good food source from eggs and meat from my chickens (starting with the rooster). In truth I love that rooster, but if I were starving...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom