Oh no!!! Coccidiosis!!!!

If they're standard size this is a table I would use:

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps046
Table 2.
Example of target body weights during the rearing of replacement pullets.

Body weight
(Pounds)

(Grams)

-Kathy

Leave the crops alone--don't massage them. I'm not an expert on crops, but I do know that chicks with cocci can get a slow crop, and you need to try to get them to take the Corid, but don't treat them like a sour crop. I wouldn't push the feed as much as getting them to take the Corid, and if using the liquid Corid, it is easy to give a drop or two undiluted. Their bellies are usually in pain with cocci, and they will start eating when they feel better, so just push the liquids or dropper feed them. No need to separate them.

The bag of Kaytee Baby Bird Food says one can use infant applesauce with slow crop, but I haven't tried it and I don't know if it would be appropriate when treating coccidiosis.

http://www.kaytee.com/products/exact-hand-feeding-baby-bird.php
CROP SLOW-DOWN: If crop slow-down should occur, first check for proper environmental temperature as this is a frequent cause of crop problems. Then mix equal parts of exact Hand Feeding Formula and infant applesauce or provide additional water by preparing exact at the ratio of one part exact to two or three parts water. Provide this mixture for approximately 24 hours and then slowly return to the normal concentration of exact over an additional 24 hour period. During this time, massage the chick’s crop gently to break up any food aggregates that may develop. Never massage the crop when it is more than half full. Allow the crop to empty before feeding again. This method will quickly allow the gastrointestinal tract to stabilize and become fully functional again. The appearance of dark green droppings in a hand fed baby may indicate a temporary shut-down of crop emptying (or the lack of food in the digestive system). If this occurs and the crop contains food, the rate of crop emptying should be immediately evaluated. If no improvement is noted within 36 hours, professional assistance is advised.

The above says to massage the crop, but I sure wouldn't!

-Kathy

Each bird needs a total of about 0.5ml Corid per day. Do you ave a 3ml syringe? If so, try filling with 0.5 ml Pure Corid and 2.5ml water, then give that orally.

The poultry dose is 2 teaspoons per gallon, not one. One is for cattle, they get less.

It's okay to give the oral drench as I suggested *and* medicated water.

-Kathy

Glad everyone is saying it's not the death sentence I've heard it was! Thank you!

They are all on Corid. Only one is turning down food but I can get her to drink her water so I coax her every hour or so. She looks interested in food but doesn't actually eat. Hopefully over the next day or so, that will change. I haven't noticed any decline since this morning and there is improvement in a couple of them. All are still very alert.

I separated them but they can all poke their beaks and heads at each other. I wanted to be able to monitor them individually since I wasn't sure who or how many were spewing bloody stools, who was eating or not, or who was drinking or not. I only have 4.

If this goes well and they make it through, does this make them more susceptible to getting it again? Or perhaps the opposite, more immune having already had it?

Coccidiosis is everywhere and it is nowhere. Coccidiosis is not a bacteria or virus but a one celled internal parasite found in the dirt that attacks and feeds on the intestinal walls, hence you see blood in the feces. A little Coccidiosis is not necessarily a bad thing a lot of Coccidiosis is a bad thing. There is no such thing as a chicken who is a carrier of Coccidiosis, as far as I am aware they all carry it to one degree or the other.

Exactly....so they are indeed carriers in a sense since it is normal for chickens to have a few of the protozoa in their gut, they've simply developed immunity to it. Toss in some new birds and they might pick up a case of coccidiosis if the strain of cocci on the property is different from what they've been in contact with previously. Or the other way around, new birds can bring in a new stain to existing birds. Nasty little thing the coccidia bug!

There are at least 9 and maybe more coccidia strains that affect chickens. Other species get other strains. Chickens build up immunity gradually to what's in their home soil, but if they move, they can take their strain with them and infect others. Then they might get sick from the new strain in the new yard. Sulmet (a sulfa drug) only treats the 2 worst strains of cocci, and as Cafarmgirl said, it can be hard on them. Di-Methox is another sulfa drug that will treat cocci plus other diseases like coryza and some intestinal diseases. Corid (amprollium) or Ampromed is good to use since it gets all 9 strains in chickens. When chicks get coccidiosis, they will eat and drink for awhile, then stop eating, and later will stop drinking due to the abdominal pain. Somewhere between 11 and 20 weeks most chickens will become immune to the cocci strain on their property. By the way, while you are treating with Corid, do not feed them medicated feed.

There are at least 9 and maybe more coccidia strains that affect chickens. Other species get other strains. Chickens build up immunity gradually to what's in their home soil, but if they move, they can take their strain with them and infect others. Then they might get sick from the new strain in the new yard. Sulmet (a sulfa drug) only treats the 2 worst strains of cocci, and as Cafarmgirl said, it can be hard on them. Di-Methox is another sulfa drug that will treat cocci plus other diseases like coryza and some intestinal diseases. Corid (amprollium) or Ampromed is good to use since it gets all 9 strains in chickens. When chicks get coccidiosis, they will eat and drink for awhile, then stop eating, and later will stop drinking due to the abdominal pain. Somewhere between 11 and 20 weeks most chickens will become immune to the cocci strain on their property. By the way, while you are treating with Corid, do not feed them medicated feed.

It's a store made feed that is medicated with corid. Is that still an issue?

Back
Top Bottom