Oh no!!! Coccidiosis!!!!

Only 1 is not eating. Two are eating pretty good and one is just having a drink/bite here or there. So I figured collectively they might be getting a decent dose. Can it hurt???

You all are great! You're giving me hope! :) Thank you! Will keep all updated.

Some baby chicks are vaccinated for coccidiosis at the hatchery. If you give these chicks medicated feed you are canceling out the good effects of the vaccinations. This is because the weakened strain of the protozoa used in the vaccine may be killed before immunity or tolerance is developed in the chick (14-21 Days) The same thing is true of coccidiosis medications. Do be advised that if you employ enough anti coccidiosis drugs for long enough you can and will breed a super strain of coccidiosis that only a vaccination will help banish.

Some baby chicks are vaccinated for coccidiosis at the hatchery. If you give these chicks medicated feed you are canceling out the good effects of the vaccinations. This is because the weakened strain of the protozoa used in the vaccine may be killed before immunity or tolerance is developed in the chick (14-21 Days) The same thing is true of coccidiosis medications. Do be advised that if you employ enough anti coccidiosis drugs for long enough you can and will breed a super strain of coccidiosis that only a vaccination will help banish.
Curiously, is the vaccine effective against all known strains of of coccidiosis?

-Kathy

Currently there are 2 that are eating like crazy. One remains the same although she's still drinking water with encouragement and she did take 2 bites of food. Then the 4th seems to be going down hill which is weird because that one had the least amount of blood in her stool. She doesn't want to eat or drink right now.

That being said, should I plan to get up every hour or two overnight to make sure these two concerning ones are getting in those meds?

My math? Oh... You mean the chicken math thing. I don't know what that is really.

Back
Top Bottom