Oh no....I think I have a broody!

I had 2 broodies this summer. I broke both of them (I didn't want to deal with hatching, etc.). First one took 5 days of me removing her from the nest box, carrying her out into the run, giving her treats, and then going back out and taking her off the box 4-5 times a day. Late in the evening after everyone was finished laying for the day, I closed up the boxes so the broodie couldn't get back in (she would even sleep in the box if I didn't close it up). I had to get up extra early during that time to go open the boxes for the others, but after 5 days of persistent removal of the broodie, I broke her. A few weeks later another one went broodie and it only took me 3 days of the same approach to break the second one.

I personally didn't want to let mine hatch because I just didn't want to deal with it. If you want the experience, count yourself lucky and let her try to hatch some. If you don't want to hatch, just keep taking her off the box, carry her outside to the run and give her a handful of scratch to distract her. Close up your nest boxes when the others have finished laying for the day and, if you have to, pick her up in the evening and put her on the roost each night. It shouldn't take long to break her.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

yuckyuck.gif
yuckyuck.gif
yuckyuck.gif

My OEG pullet laid one batch of eggs, which I nabbed, so, she moved her nest, and her second batch just hatched out seven biddies, today. I noted that your thread title indicated distress over the fact....The way I see it, a broody hen is far better than a $1000 dollar machine, which I would still have to tend, daily.

One of my silkies was broody last month, with no eggs under her and no rooster. She just sat there, kind of grouchy, ran out first thing in the morning when I opened the coop, and ate and drank water fast and furious, would let a golf-ball size poop that she had been saving, and would go back until the next morning. She tried to peck me and wanted to be left alone. So I just let her be. She got over it in about 2-3 weeks. Now she is laying eggs again.

Of course my 7 lb., 11 year old chihuahua was really proud of himself for finding those golf-ball sized poops and putting them on his blanket (outside), along with his dried dead frog.
sickbyc.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
I broke a broody a month or so back doing this. The only thing different was I left her in there for 2 days. She was fine after that!!

Quote:
I just did the same thing. Had another BO go broody last week. Finally made the decision to go ahead and let her try. Seperated her Friday afternoon and gave her 12 eggs!! After that nothing, wouldn't go near the nest. Come to find out my broody switched nest boxes on me and I seperated the wrong one. Go the right on on the next and should be getting babies at Christmas too!!
smile.png

I had 2 hatch out on Thanksgiving day here in cold Maine, find her some fertile eggs,someone must have a roo in with their hens in the area, ask at the feed store. Let her go for it, I do have a heat lamp on the edge of the area where the mom and babies are and I kept it there during the hatch time and Ialso put some styrofoam insulation around her area to keep the heat in and her off the cold floor/broody area. On 2 cold days I hung a heating pad in the box. Hens have been doing this forever without our help, but I worry so much, so I heat their water and their play area. Good luck.

My stepmom found some wild turkey eggs and put them under her broody hen and she hatched a turkey that thinks he is a chicken. He is full grown now and still follows his chicken-mama around!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom