Oh no. They got a pup!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I have had Rotts, and they are wonderful dogs. They are very intelligent, don't underestimate them.
I brought a grown male with me when I moved in with DH. He was not chicken friendly, but he was well trained & well mannered, so he was easy to train to leave the free range chickens alone. It only took telling him NO twice and he never paid a bit of attention to them again.
Now, he was very interested in the lambs! That took a little longer, but he got to where he could be trusted with them in the yard during the night. (We brought them into the yard at night because of coyotes in the pasture.)

I'm sure you will love the pup, as was mentioned before, everyone will need to be on the same page as far as training. Be consistent and you will have one of the most loyal canine friends.

Jean

Quote:
Yay! Good post about these kinds of pups. My mom's old friend had one, and it was very nice, though very excitable. Bf has had same kind of experience.
smile.png

Hopefully the pup can be just as well trained.
love.gif

Quote:
Revelle...where do you live?? I mean, what country?? USA? Aye.... you're not a pirate are you??
lau.gif

I'm just kidding...
hide.gif

Quote:
Revelle...where do you live?? I mean, what country?? USA? Aye.... you're not a pirate are you??
lau.gif

I'm just kidding...
hide.gif

lol.png
Nah, but I got a bit of scot in me.
wink.png
It's hilarious to my family when I get worked up about something, since I'm the only one that ever gets a bit of an accent other than my dad. And it's even harder for his accent to come out.
tongue.png

I suggest you ask for the pup to be initially introduced to just you and your bf...let him sniff you and know you a moment. Then Introduce one of the girls to him while you still holding her and keeping her safe. Allowing him to associate you and your girls to one another. If that makes sence. Then keep introducing the girls one by one. all the while someone staying attentive to the pup.
wink.png
good luck!

Quote:
That's a great idea! Honestly would not have thought of that.
love.gif
Awesome, thank you!<3

It will work out. Just take it one step at a time. Keep the pup on a leash when he is around the girls. Build a nice strong run as soon as you can. Enjoy the move and enjoy your new family. Life is to short, it should be enjoyed. His family sounds thoughtful letting both of you stay there so you can save for a home. I'm sure they will like having both of you there and they will enjoy the fresh eggs the girls provide.

How many chicks do you have? What about a chicken tractor? That's what I used at first, until I built the doggy-proof enclosure (and got a bunch more chickens
wink.png
). Now it's my quarantine pen.
smile.png

Just another thumbs up for the rotts. LOVE them! They are very bright, and have been, in my experience, very eager to please. That said, I am not a big mix-chickens-and-dogs person. My border collie mix loves my chickens...from the other side of the fence. He looks a little too intently at them when he thinks I'm not watching... I would do everything I could to keep the chickens separate from the dog. It's just too tempting for them.

Good luck! With all of it!
smile.png

Quote:
Some more great advice!
love.gif
They are very thoughtful, great people. Leash idea is also good!

Thank you for the help everyone! Have a great night.
smile.png

@KKatknap - Oh, sorry! Missed your post.
lol.png
Right now at 13 chicks, but due for more after the move. (The family is obsessed with getting a bantam phoenix!
gig.gif
) A tractor is a good idea as well! The chirpers were going to be subterranean before the move. Special area in the basement that I'm going to get some UV lights for to grow some grass and stuff in.
smile.png
Nice use of old tractor!

And thank you, too!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom