OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there!

Toni we had to put a rooster down a year ago. You couldn't turn your back on him and sometimes he would not care if you were turned away. I don't know if taking your dog in would be good if he has a set of spurs. I worry if my Fester gets pissy once he will do some real hurt to whoever he gets. I don't want to remove his spurs but it's in my mind in case. He is 2 yrs old now and sports a pair close to 3.5 inches.Good luck with him , maybe he needs a time out?Fester is my avitar.

Last edited:
Foghorn's spurs are only about 1 1/2" long, and the dog has a heavy coat, but if Foggy gets too mean, he is gone. Right now I take in my big leaf rake and keep it between us, plus I always wear heavy tall boots. He always bites my boots, but I can't feel it, and he seems to give up and go off to look after his girls. It's when I forget to pay attention and pick something up that he will get me on the hand, usually just a small scratch or nip, just enough to annoy me and draw a few drops of blood. No worries, though, I got a tetanus shot last summer when I stupidly went in with bare legs and got a spur in one leg. The scar has finally disappeared! One day in the winter, not only did I have on the boots, but my ankle length heavy down coat...Foghorn totally flogged me but I was so protected that I ignored him. It seemed to confuse him that I went about my business, and he gave up and walked away!

Last edited:
If you got your boots on there are few tricks you can try that may teach him who is boss. I had a RIR and he got aggressive. So I would walk right at him and make him move whenever I was near him. I made sure he felt like I was pushing him around. i just kept walking at him until he would leave. Then if I was in the yard and he tried to mount a hen I ran over and smacked him with a towel. I never let him breed when I was around. I would feed my hens and it drove him crazy that they came to me for treats. He would sit back and make his noise like when he found food in an attempt to get them to leave. When I left the hens that is when he would come at me. I ain't going to lie, he would still come at me occasionally but it got a lot better. Unfortunately, I only have 5 hens and he was just tearing their feathers off of them from over breeding so we had to give him to another guy. Luckily for him that guy had 50 chickens. good luck

We built a PVC chicken tractor over the weekend and got to let our little flock enjoy the outdoors finally! My husband did all of the planning, and I helped out with the construction. We are probably going to add a couple of wheels so that it is easier to move around the yard and pasture when there are not two of us around to do the moving. This chicken thing is really a great adventure!

If you got your boots on there are few tricks you can try that may teach him who is boss.  I had a RIR and he got aggressive.  So I would walk right at him and make  him move whenever I was near him.  I made sure he felt like I was pushing  him around.  i just kept walking at him until he would leave.  Then if I was in the yard and he tried to  mount a hen I ran over and smacked him with a towel. I never let him breed when I was around.  I would feed my hens and it drove him crazy that they came to me for treats. He would sit back and make his noise like when he found food in an attempt to get them to leave.  When I left the hens that is when he would come at me.  I ain't going to lie, he would still come at me occasionally but it got a lot better.  Unfortunately, I only have 5 hens and he was just tearing their feathers off of them from over breeding so we had to give him to another guy.  Luckily for him that guy had 50 chickens.  good luck

I do the same. Stand up to him and if he tries to breed when I am with them, he gets knocked off. My husband and I also go in at dark once they are roosted and do bird inspection. Fester doesn't like it and once it is done he stays well enough away. He hates being held.I usually go in my coop/run in old flip flops in warm weather and still he gets booted off hens. Yeah dangerous in two ways but I don't mind poo on my toes anymore, is that normal?

Last edited:
I find that if I use the rake to protect my legs and let him go after the toes of my boots, with no reaction from me, he seems to give a pretty easily and goes on his way. But I still have to keep my eyes on him as he senses when I am not paying attention, and will then try to sneak up on me. These roosters are pretty sneaky guys.

I can not for the life of me comprehend people being afraid in their own coop or yard. Life is way too short to put up with contrary roosters. Make a nice pot of chicken and noodles out of that man fighting SOB.

Go find yourself a good large fowl Brahma, and I bet you will find yourself spending more time with and getting much more enjoyment from your birds again.

Now the potential down side to this plan is you may soon find that your other birds start looking rather common compared to your majestic Brahma cock, and you might well find yourself getting more Brahmas, eventually switching over to a all Brahma flock. Now the real danger is one day you will be out enjoying the beauty and serenity of your flock of Brahmas when you will realize just how many years you spent dealing with man fighters when there were Brahmas available the whole time, it can be rather depressing.

We built a PVC chicken tractor over the weekend and got to let our little flock enjoy the outdoors finally! My husband did all of the planning, and I helped out with the construction. We are probably going to add a couple of wheels so that it is easier to move around the yard and pasture when there are not two of us around to do the moving. This chicken thing is really a great adventure!

Nice!

Back
Top Bottom