OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there!

It sounds like he can manage fine on his own, but hopefully he will find his way home. One of our favorite birds was a stray found in an alley in the city. Can't imagine where she came from, but she is lays the most beautiful light teal eggs. The person who found her did quarantine her for a while while he looked to find her a home.

It sounds like he can manage fine on his own, but hopefully he will find his way home.  One of our favorite birds was a stray found in an alley in the city.  Can't imagine where she came from, but she is lays the most beautiful light teal eggs.  The person who found her did quarantine her for a while while he looked to find her a home.

I posted the pics in the turkey forum here on byc and it sounds like this is a hen although I don't see her anywhere now.

Sounds like a happy ending for your lucky little hen :) Teal eggs! I bet they''re gorgeous!

We have quite a few rescued animals and hard luck cases here although they don't lay eggs lol. (My old mare, both dogs, and all 3 cats).

Anyone lose a turkey lol?
This one showed up in my yard this morning and it seems to be in rough shape. It's driving my flock batty roosting on top of my coop and run.
Anyone know is this is a hen or young tom? Breed?
I have zero experience with turkeys other than eating them on Thanksgiving
1f62c.png

Blue slate hen, and doesn't look to be in too bad of shape with this being mating season. Feathers will look pretty rough this time of year if she has been with a tom. Very nice looking girl. If you can't find her owner & don't want her, I would be interested in her. I have space to quarantine on separate property from my flocks.

Last edited:
Blue slate hen, and doesn't look to be in too bad of shape with this being mating season. Feathers will look pretty rough this time of year if she has been with a tom. Very nice looking girl. If you can't find her owner & don't want her, I would be interested in her. I have space to quarantine on separate property from my flocks.

Thank you!! You may have already seen my post to you in the turkey thread, but she's wandered off to the neighbors'. We are keeping an eye out for her and if she comes back we'll try to catch her and keep her quarantined as we try to see who she belongs to. I'll definitely send you a pm in the next day or so if we have her!

Starting to regret buying the prefab coop from tractor supply. Two days in a row now I've had to run out to stop Roger from chasing the chicken as the latch on their coop has failed and they escaped! Off to menards to buy some better latches....

Agree, those prefab coops might be ok to start out, but they are sort of 'not well-built' shall we say. We used ours for about a month, then it was clear that we needed to build something substantial. Besides, the little coop was too small for our full-grown chickens. We gave ours to a neighbor who needed an isolation coop for a while. Now we share it for such purposes.

Starting to regret buying the prefab coop from tractor supply. Two days in a row now I've had to run out to stop Roger from chasing the chicken as the latch on their coop has failed and they escaped! Off to menards to buy some better latches....

I was almost a victim of it, till did more research on these chicken stuff, climate, chicken math. I designed and made my own for almost the same price tag but bigger and stronger coop.

Back
Top Bottom