OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there!

imo I would take the drive ( we go to Meyer Hatchery in Polk though). You can get them Mereks vaccinated and they are much healthier coming from hatchery.
I haven't used that hatchery but I only get hatchery chicks.
You definitely have to quarantine them, I've read and heard for 4 wks. How much age difference will be between them?

Agreed, Merek's vaccinated chicks must not be exposed to older birds, or their dust/dander for at least 10 - 14 days, for the vaccine to be effective.

imo I would take the drive ( we go to Meyer Hatchery in Polk though). You can get them Mereks vaccinated and they are much healthier coming from hatchery.
I haven't used that hatchery but I only get hatchery chicks.
You definitely have to quarantine them, I've read and heard for 4 wks. How much age difference will be between them?
They sell all different ages. I think the youngest you can get is 8 weeks and it goes all the way to laying age. I have thought about going to Meyer also. If I'm gonna drive I might as well make it a real road trip. LOL. I have a brooder for the smaller chicks to keep separated, I'm just not sure it is big enough for the older ones for a longer period.

Definitely quarantine them, even though it's tempting to just let them go. In addition to disease prevention, it also helps the newcomer chickens get acclimated to their new home, while still feeling like they've got some protection, safety, and privacy. Putting new chickens in to an existing flock usually does not work, well... it's very stressful for them all. Chickens as a rule in an established flock are not friendly to strange new chickens appearing out of the blue. You can relate can't you? Think how it would be to be plucked from where you're used to living, transported to a new place, and then be forced to mingle with a bunch of strangers. And likewise, how do THEY feel?
I will definitely quarantine them, I just was concerned about the space I have. I have a brooder that I can use for the little chicks but these are older. They start selling at 8 weeks- laying age. I just wasn't sure how far away you have to keep them from my existing flock. Leaning towards just getting day olds but I want a variety of breeds for different egg colors.

They sell all different ages. I think the youngest you can get is 8 weeks and it goes all the way to laying age. I have thought about going to Meyer also. If I'm gonna drive I might as well make it a real road trip. LOL. I have a brooder for the smaller chicks to keep separated, I'm just not sure it is big enough for the older ones for a longer period. 
lol feel same way. I love the Meyer folks. I can't go there for awhile cause I'll end up bringing chicks home with me. They always have chicks in a bind ready to go.

Last edited:
lol feel same way. I love the Meyer folks. I can't go there for awhile cause I'll end up bringing chicks home with me. They always have chicks in a bind ready to go.
Well darn. I just checked their website and they are offering free shipping on 25. I really don't want that many! But it would take me 2 1/2 to drive there each way. Hmmmm what to do?????

Well darn. I just checked their website and they are offering free shipping on 25. I really don't want that many! But it would take me 2 1/2 to drive there each way. Hmmmm what to do????? 
hmmm I would sooo go there!! I'd hate to have chicks shipped. I love hearing them peeping all the way home. We make it a day trip, it's 1.5hr from us. Mondays are busiest days. Make sure place order asap so you get what you want.

hmmm I would sooo go there!! I'd hate to have chicks shipped. I love hearing them peeping all the way home. We make it a day trip, it's 1.5hr from us. Mondays are busiest days. Make sure place order asap so you get what you want.
I may just have to take a day off work! I guess if I do go there I wouldn't have to get so many.

Back
Top Bottom