OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there!

It depends...how big is coop? How many chickens? Is it draft free? I wouldn't close off under the coop, maybe just place straw bales around to keep wind from blowing under so they still have a place to run to when outside.

It depends...how big is coop? How many chickens? Is it draft free? I wouldn't close off under the coop, maybe just place straw bales around to keep wind from blowing under so they still have a place to run to when outside.

Please use your quote button to answer questions and reply to individual posts. :D

Last edited:
Please use your quote button to answer questions and reply to individual posts.
big_smile.png

I am so sorry, I am new to this type of forum and was just replying.

I am so sorry, I am new to this type of forum and was just replying.

No problem! It just makes it easier than going back to find the question you are answering. Plus, some people have their preferences set to email them when their posts are quoted, so it lets those people know they got a reply.

Welcome to BYC too! :D

What is everyone doing to prep coop for winter?? Our coop has plenty of ventilation-not so good if we have ice cold winter this yr.
Our plan is to block roof ventilation with insulation and rest of coop covered in thick plastic.
We really need to make run fence taller and dig deeper for winter protection as well.

Our roof vents are all open all year round, the 4 windows are all halfway open in the winter except during single digits days. Our roof, walls and floors are all insulated yet the pop door to the runs is open 24/7. All I need to do in the winter is hook up the clear plastic sheets on the sides of the covered run for wind and snow protection. The unroofed wired protected run remains open on all sides so they have option to go in and out if they wish during snowy/rainy days. I also have wall panel heater I need to plug in on timer when temps drops subzero to keep the waterers from freezing, I think that's all I prep for in November.

16 chickens now, will be total 20 within a few wks (youngest 4 and older ones don't get along). Drafty? We have the vent screens and Windows but not sure I'd say drafty though. The floor boards are 6x8 but it goes 8ft high.

No problem! It just makes it easier than going back to find the question you are answering. Plus, some people have their preferences set to email them when their posts are quoted, so it lets those people know they got a reply.

Welcome to BYC too! :D
how do you set preference to notify of answered posts? Couldn't find. Thanks, still new here..

Back
Top Bottom