OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there!

I found a carport for a good price that's 10' x 20' and 8' tall. My plan is use the frame and drape chicken wire up and over. Then connect the chicken wire to the existing fence. If that works out I'll have to post pictures.

While chicken wire will turn birds of prey, don't count on it to stop a coon from crawling up and tearing through. Still have to be vigilant about buttoning them up tight in coop at dark.

Yes. They always go to bed at night. Thanks.
The coop was already here when we moved in. It had been empty for some time but serviceable. So we've been making improvements as needed. The first year we put netting over the run but the fall leaves were weighing it down. Never having a problem with hawks hanging around the netting was removed and never put back. I had been planning on covering the run again but was looking for good deals on supplies and other ways to save money. Then the roof needed replaced. It's always something isn't it?

Welcome all to the Ohio forum. I am in Doylestown Ohio in Northeast Wayne County and just down sized to a 2 acre lot. My chickens used to be free range but now I have to pen them up, I feel so bad for them like, I just put them I jail!!! I need to build or buy a small building soon to house them in. The serama, silki and sultan stay close to the house but I have others to bring up and have to decide where I want the main pen. I prefer it close to my house so I can watch them but not sure if that is a good idea. Anyone else keep chickens close to their living quarters?

Welcome all to the Ohio forum. I am in Doylestown Ohio in Northeast Wayne County and just down sized to a 2 acre lot. My chickens used to be free range but now I have to pen them up, I feel so bad for them like, I just put them I jail!!! I need to build or buy a small building soon to house them in. The serama, silki and sultan stay close to the house but I have others to bring up and have to decide where I want the main pen. I prefer it close to my house so I can watch them but not sure if that is a good idea. Anyone else keep chickens close to their living quarters?
How many are you talking? I only have 3 which will become 6 in the spring. Their pen is located next to my back deck (so a corner of the pen touches a corner of my house). No problems with smell so far but we'll see how that goes when I start deep littering over the winter. I would love to set up a maggot dispenser but again am concerned about the smell. Supposedly a thick layer of straw over the rotting meat will eliminate that almost entirely. Again we'll see!
Being on a half acre lot and close to neighbors they cannot freely free range. I open the gate and they come out when I am standing right there with them. Giving them free access to the compost bin seems to help keep them wandering too far in their hunt for a snack.

I have 13 birds around 100 feet from the side of my house. No problem with smell. I use sand in the summer and deep litter in winter. With the windows open in the summer I can hear clucking and of course crowing. I like being able to look out my window and see them scratching around and dust bathing

I will end up with at least 22 but hope to have the layers in a different coop which is 10 of the 22. I am so into hatching and forgot to think ahead about how many I can actually care for. Out of a flock of 56 ten will stay with a grandson, about 10 will be butchered so now I still have 16 to relocate or keep. I will give some 4 H'ers a call to see if any need hens for next year.

Looking for support from people in Plain township, Ohio. We are going in front of the Township Trustees on October 25. We are going to ask them to bring the issue in front of the zoning board concerning raising chickens on lots of less than one acre. The more people that are there the better our chances. Also, join our facebook page.
Thanks!

https://www.facebook.com/plaintwpchickens/

My house sits on 2 acres also. I have 52 bantams in 7 pens, plus 6 ducks in a large run, all within 100 yards of the house. I have about half an acre fenced, where they roam when I let them out... separate pens at different times. I can hear my roosters crow, but have never smelled them from the house. I never had any mice in the house until we got chickens, my husband blames the chickens for the occasional one that will get in. Otherwise, that's the only downside I have.

Back
Top Bottom