OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there!

I lost my whole flock at the start of fall and I'm thinking about starting over this spring using the Adopt Me bargain from Meyer. We'll be getting my in-laws' property around May so we'll certainly have the room for it. It could be pretty fun.
nice! I'm sorry you lost your flock. That is a good deal. Don't forget each purchase of chicks you can get a free chick (Meyer meal maker). Any idea of amount you want to get yet?

I'm from Hillsboro! I'm new to chickens , but I love them. I have a Buckeye, Lavender Orpingtons, and some mix.

Welcome! :)
Mini, new pics of one of my chocolate pullets. Wish these girls would start laying!

Ooo, pretty!
Got my birds AI tested today to maintain my flocks NPIP AI clean status that is required by some states to ship eggs, birds to, or show in   Found out today that starting in 2017 the price for NPIP testing in Ohio is going to skyrocket. Staring next week it will be $75 to $100 depending on how many birds you have for the yearly test, and an additional $75 for the 6 month AI clean test;  So what has been running me $35 a year will now be $175. 

Between this and the fact that most meds and antibiotics will now require a script from a Vet., I may have to rethink this operations future. Not that I was ever that big of a medicine user on my birds, but a outbreak of something like coccidiousis can seriously impact next years replacement birds. Not being able to run down to TSC, Rural King, or PBS to pick up something that could well save a suddenly sick bunch of birds will not be good. I don't even know of any Vets that work with poultry around here. 

Oh geez, the price has really increased! We got ours tested this summer for shows and it wasn't anywhere near $175. I think we were around $90 for 13 girls.
I lost my whole flock at the start of fall and I'm thinking about starting over this spring using the Adopt Me bargain from Meyer. We'll be getting my in-laws' property around May so we'll certainly have the room for it. It could be pretty fun.

Sorry you lost your flock. :( Never heard of that deal, what's included in it?

:frow [COLOR=800080]Hi! I'm just outside the city limits of Marietta in Southeast Ohio. I only have a pretty empty coop right now because I sold 90% of my flock (primarily factory egg layers that a large family could use for eggs) so I can focus on other breeds and maybe learn to show. Tonight I'm putting Barred Cochin hatching eggs in the incubator in hopes of getting a couple show-worthy chooks.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=800080]If you live in the area, whether it's west or east of the Ohio River, give me a shout. We can chicken-chat.[/COLOR] :jumpy
welcome!! We are north of you by Utica but I can talk chicken to anyone ;)

Utica! Not a far drive from me! Whatcha got in your chicken coop?

6 black australorps
5 buff orpingtons
5 golden comets
4 silver laced Wyandottes
3 golden laced Wyandottes
3 Easter Eggers
We started with 7 then 12 then 16 then 19 and now 26 layers. We sold so many eggs we had to get 7 more in November.
What's in your flock?
Our girls are all spring 2016

6 black australorps
5 buff orpingtons
5 golden comets
4 silver laced Wyandottes
3 golden laced Wyandottes
3 Easter Eggers
We started with 7 then 12 then 16 then 19 and now 26 layers. We sold so many eggs we had to get 7 more in November.
What's in your flock?
Our girls are all spring 2016

I had a slew of comets and black links, and sold them a couple months ago to a family who could use them. I was tired of handling so many eggs, and wanted to try something new. It left me with three blue-barred bantam Orp boys, a white Silkie and a b!tchy Specked Sussex. I'm rebuilding the flock. I have six barred LF Cochins in the incubator right now, and 15 coming in April of all colors and breeds that I've just always wanted. Cold-hardy and docile. I'm also saving eggs from my Silkie that I'm going to set - just to see what kind of Silky Orp I get.

I had a slew of comets and black links, and sold them a couple months ago to a family who could use them. I was tired of handling so many eggs, and wanted to try something new. It left me with three blue-barred bantam Orp boys, a white Silkie and a b!tchy Specked Sussex. I'm rebuilding the flock. I have six barred LF Cochins in the incubator right now, and 15 coming in April of all colors and breeds that I've just always wanted. Cold-hardy and docile. I'm also saving eggs from my Silkie that I'm going to set - just to see what kind of Silky Orp I get.
whew nice plan!!

Back
Top Bottom