OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there!

I have a bit of a dilemma.. I've got 3 roosters and they've gotten along fine until they were a year old. I have a good rooster whom comes running at any sound of distress from the hens. A mean one whom attacks me when my back is turned, then runs away when I face him. And a "child friendly" one who is quiet and never hurts anyone.

I can't have the two fighting and all of them over mating with the hens but I'm kind of attached to them. I'm unsure of how to handle it

I am not a culling person but you can't have a nasty rooster around. If you can find someone to take him and be an only rooster he may be nicer but you have to accept that if he isn't he may become dinner for someone else. If you can't do that there are places that will "process" a bird for a fee. The other 2 if getting along now will probably continue to get along.

I ended up with 2 roos because they were both nice and I hated to see one go to freezer camp when he didn't need to. Big Boy is in charge and Handsome follows. I have seen them work together to protect the girls. If things go south and they start fighting I'll have to deal with it then.

Good Luck. (I used 2 roosters as an excuse to get more hens.
1f609.png
)

I am not a culling person but you can't have a nasty rooster around. If you can find someone to take him and be an only rooster he may be nicer but you have to accept that if he isn't he may become dinner for someone else. If you can't do that there are places that will "process" a bird for a fee. The other 2 if getting along now will probably continue to get along.

I ended up with 2 roos because they were both nice and I hated to see one go to freezer camp when he didn't need to. Big Boy is in charge and Handsome follows. I have seen them work together to protect the girls. If things go south and they start fighting I'll have to deal with it then.

Good Luck. (I used 2 roosters as an excuse to get more hens.
1f609.png
)

My advice is kill the mean one. No need to keep that buggar around. Then pick one to rehome. My advice would be keep the child friendly one, but it's up to you! :) Unless, once the mean one is gone the others get along, then you can keep the two.
Red wouldn't be very good for meat either, he isn't as muscular since I clipped his wings and he is a smaller breed. He's a beautiful EE roo but he refuses to be the beta. I'd have to check if my post count is at 20+ So I can try to rehome him on here. Not really the culling type myself, just raise egg layers and bantams

I scored a 10'x-10'x6' dog kennel from. A friend for $20! It needs some repairs in the fencing, as soon as it's not freezing and 50mph winds I will be working on it. Now I'm working on trying to decide how to build a coop and what design I want. I think I want something 8'x5''x6'. Can't decide between several coop plans I've read.

I scored a 10'x-10'x6' dog kennel from. A friend for $20! It needs some repairs in the fencing, as soon as it's not freezing and 50mph winds I will be working on it. Now I'm working on trying to decide how to build a coop and what design I want. I think I want something 8'x5''x6'. Can't decide between several coop plans I've read.

Awesome score!!!

Red wouldn't be very good for meat either, he isn't as muscular since I clipped his wings and he is a smaller breed. He's a beautiful EE roo but he refuses to be the beta. I'd have to check if my post count is at 20+ So I can try to rehome him on here. Not really the culling type myself, just raise egg layers and bantams

Best of luck with whatever you decide! :highfive:

That's great! :D

My little bantam D'uccle Flora is a roo !!! He is a real sweetie but I already chose the roo I'm keeping. I've held him everyday since his first and he is happy to jump in my lap for treats. I live in Uniontown and am willing to drive to meet with anyone interested.

I like the first one but all 3 are pretty much same building with different window door options. I do like my nest boxes with the top hinged outside to check eggs without having to go in coop. Works out easier to me. I've used both tho.

Back
Top Bottom