OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there!

Sounds like you have a solid plan. If it would ever stop snowing here you could actually get started! :D

I'm not sure that's ever going to happen :hit

Do you put wood shavings or straw in your nesting boxes?

Will they need a heat lamp in the winter, or will they be ok?

If I don't want to start with chicks, where do I get older birds locally?

I use wood shavings on the coop floor and straw in the nesting boxes and pdz on the poop board under the roost. Works for me and I only have to clean the coop once a year in the spring...when it finally warms up, if it over does! I do not use a heat lamp, but I do use plastic patio roof panels to block the wind in the run during winter. As long as the coop is ventilated but has no drafts, their down will keep them warm in winter. I do use a heated waterer in winter in the coop, and have vent holes right above it to make sure that any moisture vents right out.

I'm not sure that's ever going to happen :hit

Do you put wood shavings or straw in your nesting boxes?

Will they need a heat lamp in the winter, or will they be ok?

If I don't want to start with chicks, where do I get older birds locally?
I use wood shavings in the nest box and on the floor in winter. In summer I try to use sand in the coop as it's a wooden floor. I would like to use a poop board but it would be at face level for me given their chosen roost of the rafters! (Filed away in future coop plans-- poop board)

What's on the floor now will get pushed into the run when we get nicer weather. I've actually already done that more then once but have to keep putting shaving down again.

I said I would never heat my coop. I broke down this year. We had such drastic temp changes I was worried they weren't regulating. So I used a red bull in secured lamp and used a timer for the coldest parts of the night. Mostly to keep the in coop a fairly even fluctution. Not 30° in a couple of hours.

You can look for local breeders. I've always loved Cedar Crest in Kirtland but I've heard people are having problems getting ahold of her. Checking the buy sell trade area here is good. Or sometimes a Facebook group can point you in the right direction.
Some people are horrified at the thought of getting birds through anything then a hatchery. But I think if you do your research and find a reputable person how you found them doesn't matter. Just do your due diligence in the situation.

Anyone know where I can get local heritage breed turkey poults? I don't want to order from a Hatchery or Tractor Supply and I don't want Broad Breasted White/Bronze, but I'm open to anything else or even to mixes. I want approximately 6, just enough for our table and to give to friends and family.

I've been checking Craigslist but no luck.

I'm in Geneva, OH, and would will drive up to an hour-ish one way.

Hi!
I'm new to raising chickens here in Cuyahoga county! I just recently hatched 11 barn yard mix of little chicks(I will definitely need help identifying them when they get a bit older, but I do know for a fact one is a polish chick), and I have 4 chickens, 1 black star, 1 I'm not sure of and 2 I think are Brahmas? I got started with quails, then it progressed to chickens! Best desicion ever! :)

I am looking for a pair of Grey Toulouse goslings, I ordered them from a hatchery months ago and they couldn't get the Toulouse and tried to replace them with, African geese. I said no. Now once again I am looking for somewhere in Ohio to buy my geese. Does anyone have them or know where I can get them in the state of Ohio, no hatcheries! I would rather deal with private owner. And I don't want to go to Indiana for the ones posted in the geese section.

I am looking for a pair of Grey Toulouse goslings, I ordered them from a hatchery months ago and they couldn't get the Toulouse and tried to replace them with, African geese. I said no. Now once again I am looking for somewhere in Ohio to buy my geese. Does anyone have them or know where I can get them in the state of Ohio, no hatcheries! I would rather deal with private owner. And I don't want to go to Indiana for the ones posted in the geese section.

I have a couple people I can recommend. I'll PM you with their contact info.

I live in Vandalia, OH . . .in Montgomery County. We are just north of Dayton. Just wanting to see how many Ohioians are chicken "farmers".
big_smile.png
New this year live west of Troy in Covington Miami county I have 120 different kind and banties and two turkeys in the mix all young pullets

Back
Top Bottom