OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there!

Quote:
I agree, it's awesome. Though not quite *no* rules. As far as I've been able to discern, there are at least these rules: No more than 5 chickens, and no roosters. And apparently you have to be able to demonstrate to an inspector that you have a system to keep waste out of runoff water and prevent the spread of disease. (This according to a neighbor who had an inspector show up a few times after someone called the city to complain.)

I think the city of Columbus is trying to be open-minded, but doesn't really have the resources to regulate it. So I think if you can avoid making a health hazard and aggravating your neighbors, you'll probably be ok.

I guess it's a different story in Worthington. Very sad situation over there.

I do love my girls--even when I'm squatting in the snow scraping frozen poop before my morning coffee
smile.png

Hi guys,

I thought that Columbus required a permit to legally keep chickens. I am sure there is a lot of "don't ask don't tell", but I have a friend in Clintonville that has to be very hush-hush about it until she gets her permit, and I read an article in the Dispatch awhile ago about backyard chickens in Columbus and they went into detail on the permit process. It is a big pain, I believe you have to get the birds checked out by a vet and I think there is a limit of 3 or 4 hens only. You may want to check into it.

Quote:
Ah yes. I did hear about the permit. The neighbor who has been visited by the inspector said she had to get one and that it requires annual checkups from a vet who has to certify that the chicken is healthy each year.

Which I find ironic, since there's no such rule for my cats. A rabies shot every three years is enough to keep them legal.

I will admit, I have been using the "don't ask, don't tell" policy. I'm hoping if I keep my chickens healthy and my neighbors happy that I will be left alone. If I have to have annual checkups for each bird, I don't know if I can afford to keep chickens.

But you're right, I should probably check into it. I imagine the Dispatch article can be found online. Thanks for the tip.

Last edited:
Hi fellow buckeyes! I'm a newbie here, and a newbie to chickens. Just ordered a coop yesterday and it'll be delivered in about 4 weeks. I have LOTS of questions, so prepare yourselves.

We're from Milford, Ohio, which is just east of Cincinnati. From the looks of y'all's locations, I may be alone down here in the southwest corner.

Looking forward to learning from you.

Hello! I'm originally from Ohio. I moved to Indiana for a year and a half with my fiancé. We are moving into our first house this february and are going to be right inside the Ohio border. ( north west Ohio) I am hoping to start our first flock by April. I am having a hard time finding someplace to buy hens so if there's anyone in the area that can give me some good pointers it would be much appreciated!

I want to start out with 4-6 hens and I'm hoping to build the coop from pallets (I'm giving myself a few months to try to do this since carpentry is not my strong suite :) wish me luck and any advice is appreciated!!

Back
Top Bottom