OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there!

Our hatchery (of course, Meyer), suggested highest protein content thru the winter-up to 27%!!! Why is this and does anyone change protein/ feed for winter? We are finishing up the feather fixer (got rid of rooster) now then finally can use the layer feed again but it's not as high in protein as that is.
Thx

tylan 50 is meant to be injected, along with tylan 200. If you go with 200 it would .05cc per pound. Injectable tylan is not absorbed well through the digestive system and is best injected.

Most pen the time unfortunately it is a disease and the only way to know for sure is to test a sick bird. I would only dose a bird showing symptoms.
have an issue: I found duromycin today. Girls won't drink the water and barely drank the dropper of it. Also I just read don't give over 16wks old and up for chickens.

have an issue: I found duromycin today. Girls won't drink the water and barely drank the dropper of it. Also I just read don't give over 16wks old and up for chickens.
the 16 weeks and older is because they are considered laying age. They don't have the testing done for withdrawal times for layers so they can't put it on the label for use in laying birds. They went drinking it because the medicine makes it bitter. How much did you use? Which brand ?

the 16 weeks and older is because they are considered laying age. They don't have the testing done for withdrawal times for layers so they can't put it on the label for use in laying birds. They went drinking it because the medicine makes it bitter. How much did you use? Which brand ?

900ml water with half tsp.
Once they didn't touch it, I took 1ml dropper and used for each one. Healthy two only got about .5ml and sicky one got 1.25ml
I found out about the age (knew cause egg laying) I dumped entire waterer out and scalding water to clean it then put fresh clean water.
I'm trying VetRX only with sick one. I need something that will help her.

900ml water with half tsp.
Once they didn't touch it, I took 1ml dropper and used for each one. Healthy two only got about .5ml and sicky one got 1.25ml
I found out about the age (knew cause egg laying) I dumped entire waterer out and scalding water to clean it then put fresh clean water.
I'm trying VetRX only with sick one. I need something that will help her.
vetrx is nothing nor than Vicks vaporub. It won't do much anything for them. The sick one needs proper antibiotics. Duramycin 10 is meant to be dosed as 1tablespoon per gallon of water. I've never had a problem getting them to drink it at that dosage.

Again I highly suggest tylan injectable as it is a much better antibiotic for respiratory illness.

vetrx is nothing nor than Vicks vaporub. It won't do much anything for them. The sick one needs proper antibiotics. Duramycin 10 is meant to be dosed as 1tablespoon per gallon of water. I've never had a problem getting them to drink it at that dosage.

Again I highly suggest tylan injectable as it is a much better antibiotic for respiratory illness.
our waterer for them is 900ml (1 quart) so I had to redo the medicine dosing according to what the company said. They refuse to drink it, not even with a little electrolyte in the waterer yesterday would they touch.
I'll see how this works by tomorrow, if nothing then I'll get tonal. I can do injection but rather not, and I don't even think she would do the dropper of it anyways. Can't believe how picky these girls are. More important they drink plain water than none at all.

Anyone around southern Ohio looking to order anything from any of the hatcheries at the beginning of the year? I am wanting to order 3-5 chicks and I am thinking we can combine orders and split the shipping. Let me know I am outside of Chillicothe.

Any thoughts on trimming beaks?
We got 4 pullets from hatchery today and they trim beaks as necessary for them. I was curious as if we should trim the ones who peck others most (our Golden comets are awful). Or is there anything out there to prevent this? Other than no peck stuff which we put onto the ones who are worst.

Any thoughts on trimming beaks?
We got 4 pullets from hatchery today and they trim beaks as necessary for them. I was curious as if we should trim the ones who peck others most (our Golden comets are awful). Or is there anything out there to prevent this? Other than no peck stuff which we put onto the ones who are worst.
I personally am not a fan of beak trimming. If I get one that likes to pick others I will use the peepers to block the direct sight of the bird wearing them. They are like little plastic glasses that only impair their direct line of sight in front of them to prevent them from being able to get a good strike on another bird

I personally am not a fan of beak trimming. If I get one that likes to pick others I will use the peepers to block the direct sight of the bird wearing them. They are like little plastic glasses that only impair their direct line of sight in front of them to prevent them from being able to get a good strike on another bird

Mini do the peepers affect their ability to free range?
If it blocks their direct line of sight then how about scratching & looking for bugs & such?

Back
Top Bottom