OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there!

Anyone in the Moorefield Township/Northridge/Springfield,Ohio area? Having a hard time finding out if I am even capable of having some hens
1f62d.png

So I'm reading and I'm wondering if I should have the white heat bulb in my chicken coop I don't have a large coop but have 2 rosters and 10 hens in it this is my first winter with birds any advise would be helpful

Last edited:
So I'm reading and I'm wondering if I should have the white heat bulb in my chicken coop I don't have a large coop but have 2 rosters and 10 hens in it this is my first winter with birds any advise would be helpful
all chickens need is a well ventilated draft free coop and fresh food and water. Providing heat in your coop will only cause problems.

Heat bulb is actually more of a hazard than help for the welfare of your chickens in the winter. Risk of causing fire and chickens depending on the heat source instead of naturally hardening to the weather.

We have our first snow on the ground this morning, I was so surprised to find all my chickens in the coop at 10am and not in the run. Whereas normally they're even out and about in previous winters when the temps were in teens. But they'll get used to it again, considering it was 70s a day or so ago, it must be new to them to have a sudden drop of temps.

Yes Spartan22 I had the same experience. LOL I gave them the option to come out but no one went past a few steps down the ramp. I told them they better get used to it. It's only begun. This is the first winter for over half my flock. Poor kids are so confused.

Mine have not missed a beat even in the snow they were out playing and running wild in it. I do have another coop with 2.5 months though, they haven't been out in it yet. I am trying to decide how to "break" them in for the cold, they just got out of a grow out pen in the basement.

Mine have not missed a beat even in the snow they were out playing and running wild in it.  I do have another coop with 2.5 months though, they haven't been out in it yet.  I am trying to decide how to "break" them in for the cold, they just got out of a grow out pen in the basement.
id put them put during warmer parts of day, slowly longer time each week till out most of the day. Heck our girls still won't go out:/

Back
Top Bottom