OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there!

My chickens love those Grubblies but they can get too expensive. Black sunflower seeds are my other option since I found out most of those mealworms are actually shipped from China until I can raise my own mealworms.

About a $3 per pound difference. Grubblies are cheaper the more you buy and if you set up auto ordering you get 10% off.
I also like that they use pre consumer food waste to feed them. Recycling and repurposing.

Questions about rooster damage to my girls. A little while ago I had a girl with a nasty wound. I thought she may have been attacked by a predator kinda nasty. I've noticed that several of my girls now have much smaller wounds in the exact same spot. I've got saddles for them but I'm wondering how the rooster or roosters are managing to do this. I even trimmed nails and spurs! I would think if it was due to inexperience the injuries would be random. It is the exact same spot on every girl that has them. And not all of them do. Is there something else I should try or do I need to make plenty more saddles for my girls to have a fashion show?

Where is the spot? Maybe the saddle isn't long enough. I made one for my girls and it covers all the way to the tail. It has been on for a few months and is dirty but still there.

It's on their left side under their wing. It's like he slips off. But why only to one side? The saddle does cover but not everyone has a saddle at the moment. I was hoping the pedicure the boys got would solve the problem and my girls could go naked again.
1f601.png
I'm not even sure who the culprit is. I know I have one boy too many but he's so handsome and nice I hate for him to be dinner.
1f641.png
I guess I'll have to get more fabric and we will have a spring fashion show after all!

Questions about rooster damage to my girls. A little while ago I had a girl with a nasty wound. I thought she may have been attacked by a predator kinda nasty. I've noticed that several of my girls now have much smaller wounds in the exact same spot. I've got saddles for them but I'm wondering how the rooster or roosters are managing to do this. I even trimmed nails and spurs! I would think if it was due to inexperience the injuries would be random. It is the exact same spot on every girl that has them. And not all of them do. Is there something else I should try or do I need to make plenty more saddles for my girls to have a fashion show?
Post a pic if you can. That doesn't sound like rooster damage to me.

New Chicken person here--- an hour South West of Cleveland, Ohio...
nobody would know my little town...it is close to
Ashland, Medina and Mansfield.......depending on how you travel.. ;)

Hello fellow Ohio chicken obsessed people...
I have my first ever chicks, svart hona...ebony beauties of the chicken world...love them...

I look forward to learning a ton from those in the know.

Have a good weekend.

Shannon

get VETERICYN and isolate the hurt ones until they are fully healed. No matter how this or what happened, this will prevent any more damage.
they are pecking each other due to girls losing feathers. If there are any differences with any of them, the group focuses on that. We had horribly severe spots that began as dime sizes then got to cover entire back-under tail feathers.

New Chicken person here---   an hour South West of Cleveland, Ohio...
 Ashland, Medina and Mansfield.......depending on how you travel..  ;)

I have my first ever chicks, svart hona...ebony beauties of the chicken world...love them...

Have a good weekend.

Shannon
welcome!! I'm familiar with that area:) I'm so glad you have become a chicken mama.

New Chicken person here---   an hour South West of Cleveland, Ohio...
 Ashland, Medina and Mansfield.......depending on how you travel..  ;)

Have a good weekend.

Shannon
:frow welcome to the Ohio page! Have svart hona too :D

Back
Top Bottom