OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there!

Try Jill Besida at Sunnyside Up Micro Farm in Valley City--she has some lovely birds. She occasionally has pullets for sale but they would be older to be guaranteed pullets = more $$. Or take your chances and get a few chicks straight run. They are lovely birds :) She's on Facebook or has a website.
(Sorry--was replying to "Cottonwood Farm!" Then saw the rest of the responses...and that you had located two Lav.orps already so congrats!)
I love my girls , and Junior--beautiful coloring and great temperaments.

Last edited:
If your willing to take straightrun chicks when they hatch, I can get them. I'm near Great Northern Mall. I only do it on request, because I prefer standard breeds that lay better. The only one currently here is my 10 year olds pick, and at 6 weeks, I'm pretty sure it's a pullet.

Ok, I have a question pertaining to selling eggs at farmer's markets. Do we need a special license or permit to sell them? Mine aren't ready to lay eggs yet, but I'm wondering for future reference because I have 14 ISA Browns which from what I've ready are high volume so I should get about 14 eggs a day, which just in a week I'll have over 8 dozen.

ALSO....((Since I'm so new to this all)) Once the chickens lay the eggs, do I just rinse them in warm water, or just put them in a egg carton and in the fridge and leave them be?

Thank you! :)

Ok, I have a question pertaining to selling eggs at farmer's markets. Do we need a special license or permit to sell them? Mine aren't ready to lay eggs yet, but I'm wondering for future reference because I have 14 ISA Browns which from what I've ready are high volume so I should get about 14 eggs a day, which just in a week I'll have over 8 dozen. 

ALSO....((Since I'm so new to this all)) Once the chickens lay the eggs, do I just rinse them in warm water, or just put them in a egg carton and in the fridge and leave them be?

Thank you! :) 

My understanding on selling is you have to have a few things checked out at home and use new egg cartons. A farmers market might be more lenient on requirements.

As far as to wash or not wash eggs that's a whole nother thread.
1f601.png
There is a general divided camp on the topic. Those that do wash and those who don't. I personally don't wash my eggs. I collect them, date them, and put them in the fridge. To refrigerate or not is another story.
1f606.png
I don't bother to wash eggs before I eat them unless there is poop on them. I've never gotten sick. Most people wash as needed. Get out the eggs you are going to use and wash them then. People who eat my eggs are told they are not washed. If they wash or not is up to them.
1f603.png

Aww your little one picks chickens too.
My daughters are obsessed as much as I am. I think I'll just wait. We are building a new coop and I think I'll grab a silkie from someone then. Maybe 2. Lol
If your willing to take straightrun chicks when they hatch, I can get them. I'm near Great Northern Mall. I only do it on request, because I prefer standard breeds that lay better. The only one currently here is my 10 year olds pick, and at 6 weeks, I'm pretty sure it's a pullet.

Could anyone help me find where from to purchase a cute little fellow like this one? Please and thank you!

Looks like silver duckwing either OEGB or possibly Modern game, legs look a bit long so I can't tell for sure. I have some SDW OEGBs hatching within the next day or so. I'm not in Ohio, but just across the river from Marietta in WV, if you want baby chicks. :)

Got two beautiful girls to add to the flock! So happy! 6 weeks old, Lavender Orpingtons.

May just be the pic, but those look blue to me, not lavender.

I just loaded 42 lavender Orpington eggs into my incubators, from my flock. Hatched 16 a couple weeks ago and they sold within a week.

I am licensed to sell. You need Dept of Ag to do facility(kitchen) inspection to verify processing and that you know the rules(you CAN reuse cartons with exceptions), you have to clean the eggs(washing may be needed for dirt). Other conditions need to be met as well. They should either go over this or give you written material to read. You may have to pay a small fee now, but I didn't when I first started.
That being said, all the farmers markets in my area also require a business permit. You don't have to pay taxes since your selling food, but you will be making money, so expect to have 'undeclared income' on your tax return. My sales are offset by expenses, so I don't worry about this.
You WILL need a small portable fridge that keeps a temp between 33-42 F. Ice coolers won't cut it. I checked. Craigslist was helpful for a cheap unit that converts from AC to DC.
To be honest, the yard sign I put out by my drive gets me more sales than any market. Profit is higher too.
Best wishes.

Try Jill Besida at Sunnyside Up Micro Farm in Valley City--she has some lovely birds.  She occasionally has pullets for sale but they would be older to be guaranteed pullets = more $$.  Or take your chances and get a few chicks straight run.  They are lovely birds :)  She's on Facebook or has a website.
(Sorry--was replying to "Cottonwood Farm!"  Then saw the rest of the responses...and that you had located two Lav.orps already so congrats!)
I love my girls , and Junior--beautiful coloring and great temperaments.
I tried her and did not get a response. I even called...
Finally found a place and got my girls!

Back
Top Bottom