OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there!

Looks like silver duckwing either OEGB or possibly Modern game, legs look a bit long so I can't tell for sure. I have some SDW OEGBs hatching within the next day or so. I'm not in Ohio, but just across the river from Marietta in WV, if you want baby chicks. :)
May just be the pic, but those look blue to me, not lavender.

I just loaded 42 lavender Orpington eggs into my incubators, from my flock. Hatched 16 a couple weeks ago and they sold within a week.
WV!! We just moved to Ohio from Shady Springs. We miss WV so much. Prettiest place on earth...but Ohio is going well.
I wouldn't be unhappy with Blue but was promised they were lavender and they have that light grey look of lavender chicks. I'd love to privately chat with you. We are looking to breed and raise Orpingtons. You're ahead of the game, obviously. Email me!
[email protected]

@Briggadane what is the first step to get licensed, calling USDA?

Yes. Division of Food Safety. There are a lot of things you can be certified to do and sell. Ask them. First you want Small Egg Producer (less than 500 chickens when I got it), them cottage industry stuff like breads, egg salad, deviled eggs etc. Anything you might sell at a farmers market. It doesn't cost anything to get these. But many of the inspectors won't tell you what all is available, so ask or do the research for what you can qualify for.

Just an FYI, you will need a name for 'farm' per the labeling requirements.you can find registered names at the Ohio Secretary of State. I listed mine as an LLC so as to help protect myself if something comes up- like my Twp bans chickens. And for folks who have had this happen, there is a Federal law that over rides state law, that says no law or ordinance may be made that impairs a persons right to make an income. So keep feed and sales receipts and declare your minuscule profits!

There is also a way to cut your taxes and avoid permits if you make enough profit.

I'm NOT an attorney, I just read what I needed when I did this myself. Laws or rules have likely changed since I did it, so expect something's to be a bit different now. These were MY experiences
1f609.png

Ok Ohioans, when or what night time temps. Do you move your chicks out to the coop. ?

Last year later may I had 3 10 week olds out with 6 hens and they were fine. Then 2-3 weeks later I added 4 10 week and 2 8 week olds. Everyone did fine. Then too. I didn't give it much thought though. When I picked up birds they were already staying outside.

Good question! I have my first batch in the incubator...maybe I should have planned better.
1f605.png

Ok Ohioans, when or what night time temps. Do you move your chicks out to the coop. ?

Mine were put out in a new coop in August. They were 6-7 weeks at the time. They all survived. This next batch will be going out in about 3 weeks. I have to get rid of a few baby Roos first. Anyone in southern Ohio need a white leghorn roo or 2 in the near future?

Hey All! I'm hoping I can get a little help. I feel like a bad chicken mom because I don't know how old my chicks are or what gender they are. I got the first 6 back on April 6th and the 4 EE's on the 14th. I'm attaching some photos with the hope someone can tell me. I also posted what breed they are supposed to be fingers crossed that they are all what I paid for! TIA

silver laced wyandotte

EE

Black Link

Buff orpington

EE

Hey All! I'm hoping I can get a little help. I feel like a bad chicken mom because I don't know how old my chicks are or what gender they are. I got the first 6 back on April 6th and the 4 EE's on the 14th. I'm attaching some photos with the hope someone can tell me. I also posted what breed they are supposed to be fingers crossed that they are all what I paid for! TIA silver laced wyandotte EE Black Link Buff orpington EE
Your buff orps look more like red sex links to me. The feathers should be coming in yellow only for buffs. Looks like red and white. Sorry, hope I'm wrong and it's the lighting.

Your buff orps look more like red sex links to me. The feathers should be coming in yellow only for buffs. Looks like red and white. Sorry, hope I'm wrong and it's the lighting.

The little ee, looks a week old. The bigger ee's look four or five weeks old. According to the weekly pics I've taken of my new ee chicks.

I tried her and did not get a response. I even called...
Finally found a place and got my girls!

Aw, I'm sorry to hear that. She's been decent for me--sometimes a busy mom but overall been pretty good. Glad you found some--I love mine. They are so pretty to look at and have very calm, friendly dispositions that I enjoy. My goal is to have Junior (the Lav.Orp I'd gotten from Jill) set up with my three Lav. hens and see what the results are. Just need to find someone to hatch them for me! Haven't attempted incubation myself...yet! :) Although I have two eager broodies right now...hmmm...

Back
Top Bottom