Ok - so how is THIS for chicken math?

I wonder if the Easter Gift laws that some states have (requiring a minimum purchase of six chicks at a time) cause for addition or subtraction to this here sort of mathematics. I wonder if Crafty-Chicken-Lady would have settled for her original 6+1 or if she would have ended up with 12+1.
wink.png

Several years ago my homeschooled DD convinced me to get two chickens to let her raise. So we went to the feed store, and she got two and my DS got two and my other DD got two and I got two... 8 chickens.

1 died, we went to feed store to replace... 5 more chickens... 13 total chickens.

Went to feed (different) feed store for feed... they were not taking care of their chickens so we bought 10 to **SAVE** them
wink.png
23 chickens...

WE HAD TO MOVE TO ACCOMODATE THIS KIND OF MATH!!

We got hatching eggs and hatched out a bazillion or so and finally rehomed the roosters and wound up with 84 chickens.
barnie.gif

I mean seriously... How did that happen???
hu.gif

But the bad part of chicken math is the substraction
hit.gif
We lost a great many of them because of an accident caused by me
hit.gif
that is still hard to talk about. We wound up replacing them, only to have a dog eat 27 chicks after they just made it outside.

We are finally out of the negative numbers with 32
wee.gif

Now we are learning ducky math
lau.gif

Last edited:
the chinchilla is also a very interesting math equation. I bought him for way too much money.... my oldest DD moved out to an apartment that won't take rodents so we gave him to the neighbors who happen to be my good friends. They couldn't keep him because their cat was trying to "subtract" him, so we added him back in. Posey.. short for Poseidon... is a black velvet and super sweet, but doesn't get enough attention...so still trying to find a way to get back to ZERO chinchillas..

So, hear this. I was only going to allow two chicks in the house. My two daughters came home with their chicks. My third oldest daughter(17) said she was dissapointed she didnt get one, so back to the store. I was not happy with that, but she got her chick. I had them a few days and I'm the only caretaker of these guys. I really wanted just to look at the chicks since I haven't been to the store a week later. I bring one home and we were up to 4. Then 2 weeks later I HAD to have a GLW, so back to the chick store we went to pick her up. It's two weeks later again and I'm going today to pick up a Mille Fleur! I have to have that one too. Our coop is big enough and so is the run. I was the one who only wanted 2, now we will have 6. Hubby is not thrilled at all. He was fine with 4 two weeks ago.

Last edited:
Now that I'm learning chicken math, I'm thinking I shouldn't build a coop at all. I should just try to predator proof the entire barn!

I do have a horse corral in the barn. Can I just add some nesting boxes and a roost and keep them in there until my flock expands to the whole barn?

Back
Top Bottom