OK, so now Cas is broody...help?

EvenLater

Chirping
Apr 25, 2015
Illinois
I find it cute she nests and wants to sit on her turtle toy, however she's gone into broody mode now, often refusing to move until we move her. I have read mixed things, so here's my questions.

Would removing the beloved turtle toy un-broody her? Or would that depress her or not work anyway? I work all day, so it's fallen on the DH to gently coax her off the nest a few times to eat, drink, poop, and bathe, but she hurries right back to that nest as fast as she can. I worry she'll get ill not getting enough to eat or drink or moving around much, and obviously nothing will hatch from the toy, so what should I do?

I should add she's full on broody. Not just nesting. She's lined the nest with her plucked down, turns and moves the turtle toy and defends her nest from everyone. Except me. I can touch and pet her even reach hands under her.

Cas loves my DH too, so she loudly complains when he coaxes her off the nest but she'd never hiss or nip at him. Boy I'd hear about it if she did! Lol

So, any advice here? I know it's an odd situation, but as you all know, my Cassy is weird anyway! Lol

Weeellll, is giving her some eggs and letting her go through the process an option? I think she would probably continue to brood even if her toy was taken away. Its a hormonal thing, not really triggered by objects. If you wanted to break her from it you would probably have to remove the whole nest.

I find it cute she nests and wants to sit on her turtle toy, however she's gone into broody mode now, often refusing to move until we move her. I have read mixed things, so here's my questions.

Would removing the beloved turtle toy un-broody her? Or would that depress her or not work anyway? I work all day, so it's fallen on the DH to gently coax her off the nest a few times to eat, drink, poop, and bathe, but she hurries right back to that nest as fast as she can. I worry she'll get ill not getting enough to eat or drink or moving around much, and obviously nothing will hatch from the toy, so what should I do?

I should add she's full on broody. Not just nesting. She's lined the nest with her plucked down, turns and moves the turtle toy and defends her nest from everyone. Except me. I can touch and pet her even reach hands under her.

Cas loves my DH too, so she loudly complains when he coaxes her off the nest but she'd never hiss or nip at him. Boy I'd hear about it if she did! Lol

So, any advice here? I know it's an odd situation, but as you all know, my Cassy is weird anyway! Lol

I'd suggest you search the "breaking broodiness" threads. The most common method is to put her in a (preferably) wire cage or one that is very well ventilated and suspend the cage off the ground (maybe put a few bricks under it) and keep her there (with food and water) for 3-4 days and let her out and see if she returns to the nest or not. If she does return, then its back to the broody-buster for a few more days.

CT

Letting her sit some eggs would be an option, except I wouldn't be able to find any right now, and this being her very first "go round" (she's barely 7 months old). We had planned on finding her some fertile eggs to sit in the spring, or getting her a gosling to care for, since she obviously wants to be a Mommy.

I should add for those who don't know, she's an indoor pet goose, so suspending a cage probably won't work either. I'll try searching breaking broody threads and see what I can come up with that might work in our, uh, unique situation. Lol

Thanks guys!

Letting her sit some eggs would be an option, except I wouldn't be able to find any right now, and this being her very first "go round" (she's barely 7 months old). We had planned on finding her some fertile eggs to sit in the spring, or getting her a gosling to care for, since she obviously wants to be a Mommy.

I should add for those who don't know, she's an indoor pet goose, so suspending a cage probably won't work either. I'll try searching breaking broody threads and see what I can come up with that might work in our, uh, unique situation. Lol

Thanks guys!
@EvenLater Or just let her continue and let it run it's course I did that with my less than year old last spring I gave her fake goose eggs she happily sat on them but all the other geese got so nasty defending her house with her in it from everyone that walked with in a 100' no one dare get any closer I finally took all the eggs away at about 3.5 weeks and she sat a few days after that then got up and went about her business. I much rather they let it run it's course if at all possible. and yes you do have to make sure they get up to eat and drink and poop. Geese are just so wanting to be parents. She'll make a great mommie next spring.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom