Ok, Who has eaten a Goose?

marathonmultiplesmom

Songster
9 Years
Mar 23, 2010
Chehalis, WA
Just curious... I have one in the oven and not because I wanted to eat him. I was about 4 seconds too late to save him after he got out of the fence and the dogs got him. It was too late, he was dead but freshly killed and body in tact.
With mixed emotions about this I plucked and cleaned him. Figured since I paid $12.50 for the gosling I might as well have dinner.
sad.png
He's not full grown and there is not much meat but we will eat him tonight. I never tried it before although I have had duck. This goose is about the size of a duck.

So, who has eaten a goose? How did you prepare it? I laid it on a bed of potatoes so it was raised up. Heard they have more fat than other birds. Stuffed it with brown rice, seasoning, raisins, apples, carrots and celery. I guess I will update on how it goes at dinner.

I've cooked one from the store. I didn't know much about it either, it was a trial run. I just put it in a roasting pan. They have a LOT of fat. The one I cooked had like more than a quart jar of oil in the bottom of the pan.
The last one that I bought I had to feed to the dogs because the freezer got left open all afternoon.....I cut it up on the back porch and it left a big greasy spot on the wood.
They are a lot more dark meat than your usual turkey, which is why I like them. Hubbs doesn't seem to care for them though.

Goose is excellent roasted just as you would roast a duck. Mature birds have a lot of fat, but the meat itself is dark, not fatty, and extremely tasty. Oh yeah, and the roasted skin is to die for. O. K., after all my superlatives, how did you like your goose?

I know they are meat birds. We bought them to raise for meat originally but when Christmas came around I got all mushy and felt bad because they seem so intelligent compared to our chickens so we had a store turkey. At that time I couldn't tell a goose from a gander so I figured, I better keep them all until I know who lays eggs. Wouldn't want to eat the girls first. Then I named them all... and love them in a quirky goose way. They live in our orchard so their job is to clean up fallen fruit and mow. They are wonderful at their job so I was happy enough with the never eating them plan.

However, omg it was the MOST DELICIOUS bird I think I ever ate in my life. The raise it up on potatoes was a GOOD idea. Potatoes roasted in goose fat... yum. Also I observed the goose fat has a lanolin type of feel, like a grease that absorbs into the skin well. I think if I cook an adult bird and get some more fat, I would try to make a batch of soap with it and test that out. Ok but back to the goose dinner, the rice did not work out. The bird was too small and not enough juices but maybe it would work with a mature bird. The rice was undercooked. The only meat was on the legs and thighs and was enough for only 2 people. He was not full grown. We made pb&j's for the kids because they are 3 and under and don't like meat yet anyway. My husband was a little iffy on whether or not he liked it but his problem was that I didn't get every single tiny little speck of down off. It was dark outside when I plucked and cleaned him. DH finished his plate so there you go. My father in law and sister in law both tried a small sample of the goose meat and they both also agreed that it was wonderful.

So while I would prefer that my goose was still alive, he tasted wonderful!

AAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!

I haven't read a single post on this thread. Just the title. I think I almost ate goose once, before . . . before I KNEW they were real people!!!

big_smile.png

Quote:
For myself, I'm kinda with Kim on this one
sad.png
These boards are a brilliant resource, and it's great to be able to talk with other people who love poultry too, but for someone who keeps poultry as pets-only all the talk of eating can be a bit confronting sometimes!
BUT... I also think that the chickens and turkeys produced in horrible conditions by commercial farms are real people, too, so if folks want to eat bird it seems much much better to eat someone who's had a nice life and been well cared for.

Back
Top Bottom