Okay, I "aged" my eggs and they still won't peel

bkbuz1987

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 29, 2008
Colorado
I read here that my eggs were to fresh for hard boiled so I puta dozen in the back of the fridge for two weeks and they still aren't peeling nice. I rinsed them in cold water so that's not the problem. Should I try out of the fridge or longer in the back of the fridge?

Thanks!

I boil my eggs fresh, while boiling i add a tbls of vinegar to the water, then when done i put some ice in the water to cool them down faster. the faster they cool the better it helps shrink the membrane, so does the vinegar without any after taste. eggs can then be peeled quickly and very very easy, works every time garaunteeeed.

Hmm, that's weird...mine do best with exactly two weeks. I've tried aging for one week and they still don't peel well, but two weeks has always done the trick!

Amy

hmm thats wierd.. my eggs will peel even if they only a few days old. or fresh.. but i always put salt in the water while its boiling, and and on the eggs, then do a quick COLD rince .... maybe that helps idk..

Pop a pinhole in them before boiling.

The best thing is a steamer. You can get one at Walmart.

1195409413.jpg

I only use eggs that are older (about 2 weeks). I put mine in cold water, then put the fire under them on high, then boil for 5 minutes, remove from heat and cover for 12 minutes (not a minute longer). Then I immediately shock them in ice water (lots of ice). Once the ice melts, I do several changes of cold water. Then I dry them on a towel, place in a bowl, and refrigerate. Then when I want one I remove it from the bowl and peel it under cold running water. Never ever have a problem peeling. Plus the yolks are always perfectly yellow - never green and overcooked those are nasty.

Try SALT !!! And alot of it !! I saw on the Food Network Paula Deen one day and that is what she said !! I use 1/4 to 1/3 cup of salt for 6-8 eggs boil them rinse with cold water and they will peel like they were store bought eggs even if they were layed that day !! Try it salt is cheap and it makes it easy ..

Heat water to boil
add 1 tsp salt
boil eggs
simple.

after they're boiled, you have to shock the shell to release the membrane. this is done by reducing the temperature as quickly as possible. Ice baths are ideal. Doesn't take long. I am lazy and will just put the eggs on a plate and put 'em in the freezer.. but you're looking at all kinds of contamination issues there. either way, you have to shock the shell.

also, try rolling the egg on a hard surface to crack.

The steamer looks pretty cool! I do shock the eggs with cold water and ice. I'll try the vinegar and the steamer too.

About the steamer, are you using fresh eggs and are they peeling nicely?

Thanks again
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom