***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Got all the iris roots dug today. There are 6 colors, mauve w/ yellow, total yellow big and frilly, drk burgandy, drk purple, drk purple bottom and light lav top, and the white w/ purple frilly edges. I think I've posted pics of all of them except the yellow. I dug up multiples of every color.

Y'all check out news 9 & vote for the 2nd grader that is in the running to win googles doodle contest. Pretty amazing art talent for an 8 yr old.

Carl-- we all agree anything chickens is better than a day job! We all look forward to the day you retire & just be a chicken man.

Y'all check out news 9 & vote for the 2nd grader that is in the running to win googles doodle contest. Pretty amazing art talent for an 8 yr old.

Carl-- we all agree anything chickens is better than a day job! We all look forward to the day you retire & just be a chicken man.
Here is the link for the Google doodle contest. The second grader from Oklahoma has amazing talent
http://www.google.com/doodle4google/vote.html#g=g1

Robin and Christina, just got back from the vet. He took a sample of what was in her crop and did some sort of tests on it. He said it's got no bacteria or yeast in it, so not sour crop. It's not impacted either. He said there's a condition called 'pendulous crop' that it could possibly be but if it is the birds usually slowly starve to death. I also mentioned that I'd switched their chick starter from one brand to another because the regular place was closed when I needed it. He said not to ever do that, I didn't realize that
hide.gif
. He said something as simple as switching brands with baby chicks can cause enough digestive upset to potentially kill them-his exact words. He said that could be what's wrong also, or what started it anyway. He said for tonight give them alfalfa, scratch, some grit and gradually switch their food back over. The problem is I don't have enough of the food left to do a gradual switch. So I gave all the babies the other stuff he said, which was fun (not) because they're all in separate pens. I guess I'll underfeed them considerably tomorrow, just give them a small amount of their regular feed and some bugs and alfalfa. He said bugs are good. I didn't go into detail about my Dubia colony though, people already think I'm a tool bringing chickens to a vet. Oh well, I'll start caring just as soon as those same people start paying my bills :) You know.....that supposed e coli outbreak I had last year? I had *just switched them from Shawnee Mills feed to Purina back then when the 1st one died, too. Same as I did last week. I don't think I ever mentioned the food switch to him at the time. But now I'm wondering if it was even e. coli after all....? Maybe it was something as simple as this digestive upset he was talking about from switching foods fast. That would explain a lot. I'll never know.
Oh my gosh. I had no idea you weren't supposed to switch feeds! I was just getting ready to buy a different brand. Guess I'll not do that. :( Thank you for posting this. Traci

I am in need of assistance. Matt Glass has some eggs I am wanting, if I could either get a ride for them to poops, or if that fails, if someone in the wellston/luther/harrah area could pick them up for me at Newcastle Saturday night. If u can do either, i could pay. Thanks. If u can help me out, please pm me.

I'm in for a lunch break. So much has happened on the thread that I don't think I can get completely caught up until tonight.

Due to our basement repair saga (and a plethora of other unexpected expenses), I won't be able to make it to POOPS this Saturday. I'm crushed that I can't attend, but I know those of you with cameras will use them. Please post lots of pictures and tell stories about the day so that those of us stuck at home can feel like we've been there.

A large miracle appeared in Naomi's kidding pen last night: a long-eared baby boy! Naomi gave birth without complications, and her little buckling is already knocking heads with Galen's baby, the largest and first born of our new kids.

So adorable!

Good evening Okies! I have a quail baby born!! Umm are quail babies chicks or what? Oh well it is cute. It was the only one to hatch of the three left. It is a pharoh quail I was told. I guess we will see. When I got home today there it was peeping at me. I am excited because I did not know when it was due to hatch so it is a surprise.

Of all the blue wheaton ameraucanas I hatched from Bfrancis it looks like all are pullets! Of course when I was really excited to get one of those beautiful blue boys I get all girls.
lau.gif
Oh well I love them all. They are so cute.

I forget who was asking about Swedish Flower hens, but I just bought babies from WimberleyTexaschick. She has some eggs for sale right now and I believe more chicks also. My chicks were lost for a day and they still made it safe. They are VERY healthy and big chicks. No problems at all after shipping and are really sweet. They are only about 1 1/2 weeks old but are already starting to get some color! The lady was wonderful to work with and has even got the money back from the post office after the chicks did not arrive on time and is sending it to me. That was something she did not have to take time to do. They were packaged great and had gro gel in with them. I bought 4 buff laced brahmas and 4 Swedish flower hens and she sent 5 extras of the other color brahmas she had! I will be buying more soon from her. This time I am waiting for her Husband to come into Dallas for his job and I will drive down to get them. If I remember correctly her SFH were $10 a chick.

Now that being said if someone Knows of brahmas or Swedish flower hens coming to poops please tell me! It is looking better everyday for us to be able to make it and I just know that brahmas and SFH would probably push that decision over the top!
fl.gif

Hopefully see everyone Sat.
Shellie
Do you want to part with one of the Blue Wheaton pullets? My one Ameraucana girl needs a friend. She feels out of place with all those feather legged Cochins.

edit- I see Mitzi and Christina are already in line for the BWs. If you aren't fasted that a chicken on a cricket you are out of luck on the thread these days.

Last edited:
I am going to stop off at Mary's swap meet on the way to POOPS and buy myself a broody or two. My hubby says one, I say two. He says one is cheaper and easier to deal with. (It's going to be a house chicken in my sunroom to set eggs for me and be spoiled rotten.) I told him it might get lonely and I would have to put it in diapers and let it spend time in the house around people more so it wouldn't be miserable, but so far he still looks skeptical!
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom