***OKIES in the BYC III ***

I guess I'm going to have to get some tougher skin....my 4 week old chickens pecked my favorite chickens eye out. I'm so sad. I have no idea if she will make it or not. I have her seperated and moved her to the garage for the time being. I wasn't expecting something like this only having chickens for a month. Now I don't even want to look at them!

:( So sorry, was she your only bird before you added the 4 week olds? Sometimes when they are outnumbered they get picked on, but it can go either way, if you add too few to an existing flock they can get picked on.

Where do you order yours from?  I am considering this for some coops in our pasture.  Dh and I keep talking about putting up a pen out there but I don't want something that I might not want there next year.  I want my girls to free range but to many predators without a fence.  Even then I will still have to worry about overhead predators but at least a coyote won't be able to just come get a snack anytime he wants it.

Premier1 has by consensus the best electric poultry netting on the market.

:( So sorry, was she your only bird before you added the 4 week olds? Sometimes when they are outnumbered they get picked on, but it can go either way, if you add too few to an existing flock they can get picked on.
No, these are the only five I've ever had and they've always been together. She is four weeks old also. I don't know what happened, she has always been a little smaller and a little slower but she is healthy and they didn't pick on but you could tell she was at the bottom of the totem pole.

I guess I'm going to have to get some tougher skin....my 4 week old chickens pecked my favorite chickens eye out. I'm so sad. I have no idea if she will make it or not. I have her seperated and moved her to the garage for the time being. I wasn't expecting something like this only having chickens for a month. Now I don't even want to look at them!
Oh how sad :-( As long as it doesn't get infected and they didn't cause her any damage to her skull she should heal fine. There's a big difference in breeds and how they act, too. If she's separated longer than a week or so from the others you might put the gentlest one in with her for a few days before you transfer them both back over into the group. That way they have a "friend" and don't have to start out at the bottom plus being new to the group.

Oh how sad :-( As long as it doesn't get infected and they didn't cause her any damage to her skull she should heal fine. There's a big difference in breeds and how they act, too. If she's separated longer than a week or so from the others you might put the gentlest one in with her for a few days before you transfer them both back over into the group. That way they have a "friend" and don't have to start out at the bottom plus being new to the group.
That's a good idea, thanks! As soon as she quits lying there looking like she's going to die I'll move her back out in her seperate pen so she can at least see them and they can see her and then when she is better I'll put the one she liked best in with her.

Quote: That's probably why he was in a shelter.

So sorry...it is hard to deal with for your first chickens.

5 days till 4 chicks hit NEOCS!
wee.gif
yesss.gif
highfive.gif

Unfortunately NEOCS is the exact same day as my Aunt and Uncles 50th Anniversary (in Michigan). I will really enjoy visiting my family and the Michigan Summer weather but would love to go to Muskogee too.
sad.png

MJ, just pick out what you want to sell and have Joe bring them down...he can set up in our area, we've got two booth spaces reserved, sure we can find ya room...plus can hang out with Joe. If he needs to leave early or whatever, I'll bring your cages and $$ the next time I got to Newcastle...just a thought anyway. PM or text if you want to try to work it.

Thanks Joe I may have to hit you up on that. Yes there is water there. Have a guy staying there but he drives a truck and is gone most of the time. I will try and find out something on his schedule and see if he can do it if not I may have to impose on you.

Mj,totally understand,family always needs to come first. But maybe you can get someone else to take them for you. Any other members close b

My wife always comp;ains that I get in a hurry to pack for a trip. She waits till the last minute. But she is at a management meeting for her new job for the next three days so I have already started packing!lol. We are not going to see each other much for a week or so. She comes back wed nite and I will proably leave out thurs. morning. Oh well they say absence makes the heart grow fonder!

Back
Top Bottom