***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Good and bad. Mostly good. Good was I only spent $81, and scored 7 fans for $2 total, which is really good since our AC has been on the fritz for over a month now and it is starting to get a little hot. Also bought several vegetable boxes that will act as excellent chicken carriers for bringing home auction finds. They stack much better than pet carriers. Two USDA approved scales, once set for the processing area and one set to hang over the freezers for customers when they do on farm pickup of their broilers, for $32.50 total. And a bunch of other neat stuff.

The bad news is I didn't get the 16 foot utility trailer. I thought I was the winning bid at $800, but it turns out the winner was standing right next to me and I thought the auctioneer was pointing at me. Didn't realize he wasn't until he called out the winning number. But there is a chance he would have gone a lot higher, and that was already over my self imposed limit, so I might not have one anyway.

The sorta good sorta bad news is, the giant walk in fridge didn't sell, so I have the option of picking it up later for $500 if it fits our space and needs. Going to talk it over with the office manager tonight and measure out the space I had in mind. Only thing is, it will be a lot of work transporting it and putting it together. I have enough to do right now!

800 would have been the steal of the day if the trailer was straight and the floor and tires were good. When we stopped selling trailers a few years back ofter the big flood we were getting 1600 for a utility (16 foot, Bulldog hitch, new tires) and the car haulers started at about 2200. The boss just ordered a custom built bumper pull 24ft for hauling tires and it come out at well over 5000. One can never have too many trailers. If you haul something in the bed of a truck no matter how tired you are it has to be unloaded before you can do anything else with the truck. With a trailer just drop it and the truck is free.

A 16 footer will haul 3 round bales (5x6) and stacked 6 high 120 small squares and if you get one it will be hooked up a lot of the time

When I get finished cutting the trucks I have around here I will have three trailers that are used to seperate scrap steel besides my haul trailers. I think that we have about ten now and they all have specific jobs to do. Did I mention that one can never have too many trailers?

At the Entz auction in Hydro Ok there are usually always cotton trailers for sale and at the last auction they went from about 250-400 dollars and I think there were 20ft and 24ft trailers there. The auction is quarterly and the next one should be coming up shortly. Cover with tin and you have a nearly instant chicken house.

Just read this article...thanks for posting it. The grass was drought stricken, fertilized and only 5 inches of rain on it since the fertilizer. Corriente cattle had been worked all day and were tired, hungry and thirsty. A mixture of circumstances led to the poisoning and death Good advice in this article.

The boss up in Enid moved some cattle one year from a poor pasture to some nice, lush Bermuda. No drought stress no extra fertilizer or anything and the next morning there were three standing out of 150 head. The necropsey showed Nitrogen poisoning, their systems just wasn't used to the extra N. that the new pasture had to offer.

I had some calves get into some standing Haygrazer during the night once and by morning they were all blind. I was growing the Haygrazer in an area where I had free-ranged hogs and it was fertile ground. Given a little extra time and I'm sure it would have killed them.

Just saw a story on the news that made me shake my head. A guy facing charges for animal abuse. He threw a turtle in the rd & the turtle got a cracked shell. They took the turtle to the zoo for rehab.
Insane that 1 wild turtle being tossed can land you in court & make the news. The story even came before the ODOT employee dying & the underage prostitutes that were picked up in OKC.
Goodnight all-- have to be up @5. Need to get a few hours sleep.

Just saw a story on the news that made me shake my head. A guy facing charges for animal abuse. He threw a turtle in the rd & the turtle got a cracked shell. They took the turtle to the zoo for rehab.
Insane that 1 wild turtle being tossed can land you in court & make the news. The story even came before the ODOT employee dying & the underage prostitutes that were picked up in OKC.
Goodnight all-- have to be up @5. Need to get a few hours sleep.
OMG!! I can't believe the turtle story is news?? They're a nuisance and very over populated! How is that illegal? What exactly did they arrest him for? So is setting a mouse trap animal abuse also? I don't think I understand??
idunno.gif

Well good night y'all I got to get up early to finish my chicken pen before it gets hot
i wish i could just work on my small farm all day and not have to go to work, but then i wouldn't have a farm if i tried that, i barley have any money as it is now, i really wish i had a huge farm!!! but i will take what i can get and make the best of it, lol. just as long as i don't have to live in city limits.

Back
Top Bottom