***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Tina, you can't just take a Pyr and put him with birds (or even raise him with birds) and expect him to be a 'chicken dog'. They need training just like any other livestock guardian breed. They go through all the same stages as other breeds chasing and 'playing' with chickens .They also need sturdy fences, they don't just say in your yard because you feed them. If there's any way I could talk you OUT of getting a livestock guardian breed, I would. They're not for most people because they're big, stubborn and independent. Go to the pound and get a nice older mixed breed dog. You can tell by gentle personalities and submissiveness if they're going to be a good dog to have around birds. Talk to Pyrenees Rescue and meet some of their dogs, they're already older and what you see is what you get. There used to be livestock guardian rescues that specifically placed dogs for livestock/birds.
Just research with actual livestock guardian people. You'll probably find a nice mixed breed from the shelter would suit you fine.

Tina, you can't just take a Pyr and put him with birds (or even raise him with birds) and expect him to be a 'chicken dog'. They need training just like any other livestock guardian breed. They go through all the same stages as other breeds chasing and 'playing' with chickens .They also need sturdy fences, they don't just say in your yard because you feed them. If there's any way I could talk you OUT of getting a livestock guardian breed, I would. They're not for most people because they're big, stubborn and independent. Go to the pound and get a nice older mixed breed dog. You can tell by gentle personalities and submissiveness if they're going to be a good dog to have around birds. Talk to Pyrenees Rescue and meet some of their dogs, they're already older and what you see is what you get. There used to be livestock guardian rescues that specifically placed dogs for livestock/birds.
Just research with actual livestock guardian people. You'll probably find a nice mixed breed from the shelter would suit you fine.

My chickens are fenced. I have a boxer and a pit/weimeraner mix. I was really looking for a dog that would be less likely to break the chickens necks as these dogs have done in the past before I got smart and got my fences super secure. I won't put any dog in the yard with the chickens and any dog I get will be indoor/ outdoor. You definitely have a point about them wanting to run though. I have pretty good fencing here but I'd rather not deal with a dog that runs off and needs to be hunted down all the time. I guess I wanted a family pet that would be more likely to be chicken friendly and maybe protective of the chickens.

Last edited:
Here is a photo of the whole bird. Fluffy Bunny is a sweet, sweet rooster. He is ignored by the capons but hangs out on the periphery of their group. He adores the pullets, but they don't seem to notice him. He is the only showgirl I have. I love his friendly personality.

Here is a photo of the whole bird. Fluffy Bunny is a sweet, sweet rooster. He is ignored by the capons but hangs out on the periphery of their group. He adores the pullets, but they don't seem to notice him. He is the only showgirl I have. I love his friendly personality.

Now that is cute, I bet the hens don't know he's a chicken!!!
lau.gif

I just love his top hat, both the amount he has and the color, how the streamers are so much brighter yellow then the fluff
love.gif

I agree with you on this. GPs need lots of acreage to roam. Of all dogs I see get hit by cars the most in my area is pits and GPs. If I was to get a LGD I would look at antolians and maremmas myself.

Rinda - I put off contacting you because the pullet I intended to return has been making froggy barking noises. Pointed saddle feathers are coming in. The comb gets darker every day, and the wattles have doubled in size in the past few weeks. Are we looking at a cockerel?

The birds are enjoying the sunshine today. Fluffy Bunny found a cache of bugs under a plastic tote I moved, and he called to the pullets to come eat. He didn't take a single bite, just watched as the little girls gobbled up the bugs. He's the only sugar daddy in my flock.

Yep looks like you pullet made a trip to Utah for a gender reassignment surgery... I have a bunch who apparently made the trip...
he.gif

As for Fluffy Bunny... Well that is just so cute name and actions all...

Pyrenees can be good guard dogs but require a lot of work and training to get them where they are good around birds and that is not always foul-proof... I had a great Pyr who was wonderful around chickens just like her parents then one day out of the blue she started eating them... Always had plenty of high quality food, canned food and treats. Didn't matter could not break her of it..
The other problem is they are roaming dogs. I would find mine two miles down the road. My female got shot which required 127 stitches down her back from the bullet wound.. She was a mile from the house when we found her... If you are going to get one you need a big, sturdy fence and lots of space for them to roam..

Yep looks like you pullet made a trip to Utah for a gender reassignment surgery... I have a bunch who apparently made the trip... :he
As for Fluffy Bunny... Well that is just so cute name and actions all...

Pyrenees can be good guard dogs but require a lot of work and training to get them where they are good around birds and that is not always foul-proof... I had a great Pyr who was wonderful around chickens just like her parents then one day out of the blue she started eating them... Always had plenty of high quality food, canned food and treats. Didn't matter could not break her of it..
The other problem is they are roaming dogs. I would find mine two miles down the road. My female got shot which required 127 stitches down her back from the bullet wound.. She was a mile from the house when we found her... If you are going to get one you need a big, sturdy fence and lots of space for them to roam..
You guys convinced me with the fact that they need to roam. I can't deal with a dog that runs off all the time. I'd worry and probably with good reason. Thank you for the information.

Back
Top Bottom