***OKIES in the BYC III ***

i have a GP mix she is so sweet to all the other animals and people she wouldn't hurt a fly and she doesn't wander far i don't think she would go any where except she fallows our other dog who goes down the road sometimes.

honey

Happy New Year to all my fellow Okies! First off, I am new to BYC and would like some input from this forum. We are homesteading/hobby farming on 40 acres south of Tecumseh. We have some RIRs but we are looking for recommendations on other good dual purpose breeds for Oklahoma. Dominiques (Dominikers if you're a real Okie) and Aussies have been considered. I'm sure those with more experience will have ideas as to what we should focus on. Looking for about 4 good breeds. Thanks in advance for your advice.

-JB

Happy New Year to all my fellow Okies! First off, I am new to BYC and would like some input from this forum. We are homesteading/hobby farming on 40 acres south of Tecumseh. We have some RIRs but we are looking for recommendations on other good dual purpose breeds for Oklahoma. Dominiques (Dominikers if you're a real Okie) and Aussies have been considered. I'm sure those with more experience will have ideas as to what we should focus on. Looking for about 4 good breeds. Thanks in advance for your advice.

-JB
welcome-byc.gif

You can't go wrong with barred rocks. Naked Necks would be a great dual-purpose breed as well.

Last edited:

-JB

I'll play my broken record again
gig.gif
Naked necks, they take our heat well, cold hardy (at least in our cold) nice size, good layers, easier to pluck and no pesky hair at pluck time to singe off. And besides all that they are cool, just like sonic screwdrivers, bow ties and fez. (sorry just had to, can you tell what I've been watching while quilting today???) lol lol lol

Oh and a belated
welcome-byc.gif
and our okie thread.

Last edited:
Hope everyone has a joy-filled, prosperous new year.
rofl! Great picture! Do the packing peanuts (Production Reds) at your place have pronounced combs and wattles yet? The ones here do not. They're going to be one of my 1st caponizing attempts later on this year. I want to get in lots of practice on older birds.

I'll play my broken record again
gig.gif
Naked necks, they take our heat well, cold hardy (at least in our cold) nice size, good layers, easier to pluck and no pesky hair at pluck time to singe off. And besides all that they are cool, just like sonic screwdrivers, bow ties and fez. (sorry just had to, can you tell what I've been watching while quilting today???) lol lol lol

Oh and a belated
welcome-byc.gif
and our okie thread.
Let me guess who...Doctor Who?

Back
Top Bottom