***OKIES in the BYC III ***

i have the mini, after reading all the horror stories, decided that was the way to go- small so i don't drown in new babies
well, Travis said not to 'shoot the messenger. It is still mid winter....' don't like the sound of that

@Poco Pollo the donation boys will be 5 - , only 3 girls in that hatch

update on Eliza, gave her a little tumeric with her vitamin water, so this morning she is standing, head not bent as much, tonite no trembling
I'll pick up the cockerels on Wednesday, March 12th, so that they can be properly prepared for their "change."

I hope Eliza recovers completely. Sounds like she's making progress.

Can you look at an egg yolk and tell if it was fertile?
I accidentally cracked one of my Splash Marans pullet's eggs so I opened it up and saw a little red blood spot on the yolk. (Then my dog enjoyed it on top of his kibbles for dinner).
My pullet is laying great and my rooster has been busy so I am hoping for some chicks soon. Jack has some of her eggs in his incubator for a test hatch since I haven't got my incubator going yet. I can't seem to catch up with chicken chores since the cold spell.

I accidentally cracked one of my Splash Marans pullet's eggs so I opened it up and saw a little red blood spot on the yolk. (Then my dog enjoyed it on top of his kibbles for dinner).
    My pullet is laying great and my rooster has been busy so I am hoping for some chicks soon. Jack has some of her eggs in his incubator for a test hatch since I haven't got my incubator going yet. I can't seem to catch up with chicken chores since the cold spell.

You should see a little bullseye on the surface of the yolk. It will look white or cream colored about 1/8 inch in diameter.

I have the brinsea eco, with the turner & love it. The eco is designed where you can just turn the incubator, instead of the eggs, each time you walk in the room- a couple times a day & the eggs should be fine.
I wish the eco was easier to clean, but it has given us multiple 100% hatches.

Anyone have NPIP Call Ducks?
how about NPIP muscovys?

Check Hayneedle dot com. They often have 10% off general merchandise sales, and their prices are already competitive.
When a cockeral or roo is caponized, do they still crow?

Thank you guys so much for the advice!!!
hugs.gif
This is kind of one of those decisions that is best made with as much experience as possible!

@Poco Pollo thanks I will check that out and see if they have a better price than Amazon

@artsyrobin I am not too concerned I basically have the market cornered in this area and will have many of them sold before they hatch!!! I say that now, I may have 100+ chickens by this time next year LOL
gig.gif
Is it lucky or unlucky that I have enough space for that many!?!?!?!?!

Thank you guys so much for the advice!!!
hugs.gif
This is kind of one of those decisions that is best made with as much experience as possible!

@Poco Pollo thanks I will check that out and see if they have a better price than Amazon

@artsyrobin I am not too concerned I basically have the market cornered in this area and will have many of them sold before they hatch!!! I say that now, I may have 100+ chickens by this time next year LOL
gig.gif
Is it lucky or unlucky that I have enough space for that many!?!?!?!?!
well i have a whole ten acres to work with but not the knowledge or energy to bring it all together...so i am limiting myself to those i have, and then some big cochins, in the hopes to be able to sell hatching eggs... off in the future..:)

Poco got it marked on the calendar..:) hope they do ok..:)

how about NPIP muscovys?
I already have few calls, just looking for some other colors. Have had muscovys & silver appleyards. honestly I get just as much enjoyment out of the tiny calls & they are cheaper to feed. We butchered our extras when we had the larger ducks, they were yummy, but I never liked that I was eating a $50 duck!

DUCKS!!!!! LOL LOL LOL that just reminded me of the NPR story I was listening to on my way home from the gym Tues.
They said the duck was one of the only birds w/ a p****s and some types as big as 14 inches. You never know what interesting things you will learn on NPR.

I already have few calls, just looking for some other colors.  Have had muscovys & silver appleyards. honestly I get just as much enjoyment out of the tiny calls & they are cheaper to feed.  We butchered our extras when we had the larger ducks, they were yummy, but I never liked that I was eating a $50 duck!

Did you know there are bantam appleyards?

My pullet is laying great and my rooster has been busy so I am hoping for some chicks soon. Jack has some of her eggs in his incubator for a test hatch since I haven't got my incubator going yet. I can't seem to catch up with chicken chores since the cold spell.

A blood spot doesn't mean anything. Here's some good pics of fertile vs. unfertile eggs.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/16008/how-to-tell-a-fertile-vs-infertile-egg-pictures

When a cockeral or roo is caponized, do they still crow?
No. By caponizing them (neutering them) they don't get the male hormone anymore so they don't fight or crow, and grow bigger with more tender meat.

DUCKS!!!!! LOL LOL LOL that just reminded me of the NPR story I was listening to on my way home from the gym Tues.
They said the duck was one of the only birds w/ a p****s and some types as big as 14 inches. You never know what interesting things you will learn on NPR.

lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom