***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Did you know there are bantam appleyards?

I took some of my day old Appleyards to Blanchard once, the bidding went crazy. The 2 guys thought they were the small Appleyards. I put the info on the box, but they were not paying attention! There was a guy outside of OKC selling some appleyard calls, but they didn't look anything like the show quality ones I got from holderread. I considered ordering some silkie ducks & giving up my calls.
I just love watching them play in the water & run around. Ducks are so much fun!!!!
The only other birds that are "mine" is the rhodebars & my single remaining rose comb RIR.
Taron announced today we could get rid of everything except the rhodebars & start fresh. Then she started naming favorites we had to keep. She just didn't want to clean the coop & fill up waters.

Can you look at an egg yolk and tell if it was fertile?
I accidentally cracked one of my Splash Marans pullet's eggs so I opened it up and saw a little red blood spot on the yolk. (Then my dog enjoyed it on top of his kibbles for dinner).
My pullet is laying great and my rooster has been busy so I am hoping for some chicks soon. Jack has some of her eggs in his incubator for a test hatch since I haven't got my incubator going yet. I can't seem to catch up with chicken chores since the cold spell.

I thought that a spot of blood in the yolk showed they were getting to much protein.

DUCKS!!!!! LOL LOL LOL that just reminded me of the NPR story I was listening to on my way home from the gym Tues.
They said the duck was one of the only birds w/ a p****s and some types as big as 14 inches. You never know what interesting things you will learn on NPR.
lau.gif
I don't know about other breeds but I can testify that on muscovys

A blood spot doesn't mean anything. Here's some good pics of fertile vs. unfertile eggs.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/16008/how-to-tell-a-fertile-vs-infertile-egg-pictures

No. By caponizing them (neutering them) they don't get the male hormone anymore so they don't fight or crow, and grow bigger with more tender meat.

lau.gif
Thanks for the answer. Would the correct English have been are or is?

I already have few calls, just looking for some other colors. Have had muscovys & silver appleyards. honestly I get just as much enjoyment out of the tiny calls & they are cheaper to feed. We butchered our extras when we had the larger ducks, they were yummy, but I never liked that I was eating a $50 duck!
I have seen a few for sale at the Shawnee show and me and my girls want some but just have to convince the DH.

Last edited:
Windy out there this morning
mucho_viento.gif

Looking forward to the Coweta sale. Hope to see lots of Okies there. I'll be wearing bright yellow. Come introduce yourself and say, "Hi." It's always nice to meet new Okies.

:lau I don't know about other breeds but I can testify that on muscovys

Thanks for the answer.  Would the correct English have been are or is?

Uh... yes it should be are not is. Sorry it was late.

Windy out there this morning 
mucho_viento.gif

Looking forward to the Coweta sale.  Hope to see lots of Okies there.  I'll be wearing bright yellow.  Come introduce yourself and say, "Hi."  It's always nice to meet new Okies.

I'll be there too- no telling what I'll be wearing but I'll have 4 kidlets in tow!

Gah forgive the typos I h ate doing this on my phone....

pictures from yesterday...a little windy but not as bad as today..excavators at work

Wyandotte hen with chicks...the mahogany may be my first Buckeye

there are two Cochins but one is hiding and then the Delawares wouldn't show me theirs. Their nest is a cover from a heat/air conditioner fan.

We sorted steers from heifers yesterday also. here they are in the lot and then the heifers following the feed truck back to their pasture.

Good morning everyone!

How is everyone!

Update on my little hen. I had a nice chat with @BetsyOK on Monday and got some great advice. But it looks like I'm too much of a worry wart/hovering mother because that afternoon my daughter found this in the coop.

All my worry is for naught. I guess I was messing with the hen too much and not giving her enough time to recover after moving her here and molt. We opened this egg and it appears to be fertile!. We got two more yesterday and this morning. Now I need to find an incubator or find some one who would want to hatch some silkie eggs. Anyone want some silkie eggs to try to hatch? I would hate to eat these. :) If anyone wants eggs, should I put them in the fridge or let them set out at room temp?

What type of incubator should we be looking for? There are those big styrafoam ones at Attwoods, but those are huge for just a few bantam eggs, right???

I really enjoyed the light shower we recieved yesterday. It was a blessing. My seedlings are outside hardening off and it was nice for them to get fresh rain instead of tap water. This morning I have every window open to let the wind blow in fresh air to help clean out germs. I've had 3 sick kids this week and I'm so over the sick germ.

@NanaKat I really enjoy your pictures. I really envy you. I grew up on 10 acres and we boarded horses. My hubby and I are planning on buying land after he finishes school. I really miss living in the country. But now I am so spoiled to the city I don't know if I can make the adjustment. lol.

@Kassaundra I am so sorry to hear about your Irises. I love Irises. I have two I need to plant that I got from a friend. When we moved from our trailer to this house I left all of my Irises because our move was so sudden. They had a lot of sentimenal value because they were all Irises I got as divisions from friends and family. No monetary value, just sentiment. When I went back to dig them up, they were all gone. Now I keep on the lookout for Irises. There is a house close to where our trailer was that is vacant and there are Irises that have grown through the fenceline. I hope to make it back there this month to dig up some that have grown onto the roadway easement to bring back here.

Hold onto your hats Okies and enjoy the sunshine!! You all have a blessed day.

Angela

wind is really blowing out there, sounds like some of the roof is off the porch... sigh..i hate sheetmetal

my girl is standing this morning, so will continue with tumeric, and hand feeding

off to see what damage the wind is doing

Back
Top Bottom