***OKIES in the BYC III ***

The prices were unusually high, but this was one of the BIG months. Everybody wants laying hens or chicks for the year NOW not later. Prices are much lower in the late summer and late fall. The auction is smaller then, too.

Last edited:
The prices were unusually high, but this was one of the BIG months.  Everybody wants laying hens or chicks for the year NOW not later.  Prices are much lower in the late summer and late fall.  The auction is smaller then, too.

That is so true!! I have seen a blue Ameraucana hen go for $35 in the spring and the same kind go for $4 in the summer. People want stuff now!! Not in the heat or in the freezing cold.

Can anyone tell me about blue/splash langshans?

Lorie there's a woman named Mikaela, screenname on BYC is rodriguezpoultry, who has gorgeous blue Langshans. She's been working on her line for a while, and they have gorgeous form and color, as well as impressive size. Blue isn't an accepted color for showing yet, but when enough people are breeding them, they could be accepted.

This is one of my girls from Mikaela. She's standing next to a full grown splash Marans.

Last edited:
That is so true!! I have seen a blue Ameraucana hen go for $35 in the spring and the same kind go for $4 in the summer. People want stuff now!! Not in the heat or in the freezing cold.

Even as a hobby breeder I wouldn't let an Ameraucana hen go for $4. Super deal for the buyer though if the hen was legit.

@mjgigax

I meant to ask you about the bantam cochins at the auction....

@muesky

I'll keep you posted how they turn out. I haven't looked at their combs closely to see how many pea rows they have. Just glancing at them only one has a pink comb so I was guessing one male and rest female. That lot was labeled as NPIP but I think that seller has space issue. Lot of their birds were feather picked.

Last edited:
@muesky

I'll keep you posted how they turn out. I haven't looked at their combs closely to see how many pea rows they have. Just glancing at them only one has a pink comb so I was guessing one male and rest female. That lot was labeled as NPIP but I think that seller has space issue. Lot of their birds were feather picked.
So can you tell the sex of cochin by their comb. I hatched out 4 Standard Cochin last weekend, and would be nice to know what sex they are.

So can you tell the sex of cochin by their comb.  I hatched out 4 Standard Cochin last weekend, and would be nice to know what sex they are.

I don't know anything about cochins but others with cochins like nanakat will chime in with their expertise. But from reading the posts when Robin got Sonny they sound hard to sex when they are less than 6 months old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberlischicks

What are the best breeds for laying hens for Central OK? I'd really like some that lay in the winter some too. What about roosters? Is there a particular breed that does better in Central OK?

Depending on when they molt, most young heavy breed hens will lay on and off through the winter. Leghorns lay (white) eggs pretty good all year long. Hi-breads, (sex links) are great layers, but seem to slack off after the fall molt till spring. I have some NN that do fairly well through the winter too.

hu.gif
Sorry, I don't know of any roosters that will lay in the winter.
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
hide.gif

Back
Top Bottom