***OKIES in the BYC III ***

I've been making using the milk jug / balloon method. I used 2/3 gall of cherry juice (from my tree) and 1/3 gall tea I made w/ 3 tea bags, 1 barvarian wild berry, 1 black cherry, 1 vanilla nut, added about 2ish cups (horrible at measuring) sugar. I put Camden in the pre wine to kill any microbe, then after 48 hours added yeast and nutrient (can add raisins instead 25 per / gall) waited for the balloon to deflate and bottled. Just got one bottled so far the rest are still fermenting.

Welcome to the new folks!
Kass, nice ties and need your recipe for Cherry Tea wine.

Need to see photos of the foot on the bird with bumble foot or blister.....the best treatments always seem to be the old tried and true ones...iodine and sugar along with penicillin.

Today i candled eggs under the broody hens and was surprised to only remove two eggs as not growing! I consolidated the hatches and then I moved 20 chicks to the barn and distributed them to the broody hens without eggs. three very happy girls. One was the Delaware Bantam that had her two earlier chicks in her cage with her while she brooded. She had scalped her first chick that hatched, so I removed the others to the brooder box for a day to gain strength while she sat on an egg in the nest. She was so happy to get her three babies.
Next I moved hens that had their chicks for a week from their cages to the floor. Eager moms were teaching chicks how to dust bathe and scratch for goodies in the dirt....so love having a deep litter floor when it is raining outside.

Some of the runs were so mucky, I had to make trenches for the excess water to seep out. Garden lime scattered about should help with the smell.
I cleaned cage trays and scrubbed all water and feed containers...the rain sure made for some muddy containers.

I'll have to get photos of the little family units running around the yards.

We had two calves born this morning...a little bull and a little heifer. Sure glad the mothers waited for a break in the rain.

OMG Nana! I'm worn completely out after reading about your busy day! I've never in my life had that kind of energy and I'm truly jealous.
You said you've got deep litter on the floor- is there a wooden floor underneath it or is it dirt at the very bottom? I'm re-thinking how I do things and it's getting really old raking out shavings in this many buildings and coops ad replacing them. I'm just a bit concerned it would get smelly if i just raked the shavings around and piled more on top. How deep is yours?

here is a link to where we get ours
https://www.spalding-labs.com/

they do a pretty good job unless you get alot of rain, then flies can still be a problem- they do recommend using the predators with other non-poisonous products like the fly bags-
OK, I was actually looking at their site earlier today. I think I may do an order tomorrow. (too tired to think tonight) What traps do you like best? I don't want anything too stinky because our lot is not huge and I don't want neighbors to be bothered.

Welcome to the new folks!
Kass, nice ties and need your recipe for Cherry Tea wine.

Need to see photos of the foot on the bird with bumble foot or blister.....the best treatments always seem to be the old tried and true ones...iodine and sugar along with penicillin.

Today i candled eggs under the broody hens and was surprised to only remove two eggs as not growing! I consolidated the hatches and then I moved 20 chicks to the barn and distributed them to the broody hens without eggs. three very happy girls. One was the Delaware Bantam that had her two earlier chicks in her cage with her while she brooded. She had scalped her first chick that hatched, so I removed the others to the brooder box for a day to gain strength while she sat on an egg in the nest. She was so happy to get her three babies.
Next I moved hens that had their chicks for a week from their cages to the floor. Eager moms were teaching chicks how to dust bathe and scratch for goodies in the dirt....so love having a deep litter floor when it is raining outside.

Some of the runs were so mucky, I had to make trenches for the excess water to seep out. Garden lime scattered about should help with the smell.
I cleaned cage trays and scrubbed all water and feed containers...the rain sure made for some muddy containers.

I'll have to get photos of the little family units running around the yards.

We had two calves born this morning...a little bull and a little heifer. Sure glad the mothers waited for a break in the rain.
OK, Ill try to get pictures up tomorrow but I have an awful camera so Ill see if I can even capture the issue. I did the sugar/iodine poultice tonight. Seems like so far the swelling is going down, Im really hoping she looks a lot better tomorrow. I need to orally treat her with penicillin? Or inject?

Last edited:
@NanaKat ok what pictures that brings to mind!!LOL!

reworked some of the porch cages for the littles after seeing that possum on the porch last nite- and set the trap- if it wasn't for bantams and seramas i probably wouldn't worry- but too many horror stories

ok what pictures that brings to mind!!LOL!

reworked some of the porch cages for the littles after seeing that possum on the porch last nite- and set the trap- if it wasn't for bantams and seramas i probably wouldn't worry- but too many horror stories

Robin, that's what killed my big hens. They don't stick to bantams.

Quote:
i figured on the porch wouldn't be an issue- cuz of the dog, but the dog doesn't understand possums are a threat- i heard a commotion last nite on the porch and a possum is sauntering across the porch and the seramas were going crazy- if there was a way to keep the main coop cool i'd just move them all in there

OK, Ill try to get pictures up tomorrow but I have an awful camera so Ill see if I can even capture the issue. I did the sugar/iodine poultice tonight. Seems like so far the swelling is going down, Im really hoping she looks a lot better tomorrow. I need to orally treat her with penicillin? Or inject?

Either. If the hen has a good weight I like to do it as injection in the breast muscle. You need a larger gauge needle like 18 gauge or the pen. will clog it. If she is thin I would just do it orally, or if you are not comfortable with injections.

Back
Top Bottom