***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Wow, you learn something new every day. I thought all rooster roads to your place were one-way.
tongue.png
One in every crowd, huh? lol
I'm not like a hoarder in that I won't let any go, it's just very difficult for me to trust that someone will care about them and treat them well. I'd place most the roosters I've got if I could find people like Coral (or you) that would take care of them. Roosters are the dregs of society to most people though so homes like Coral are a luxury.

Georgina's first neckbrace... she HATES it! And I feel horrible about it. I really doubt she makes it, because that neck kink is seriously interfering with her nutritional intake, but we're going to try. Poor baby.

can you tube feed her and also add nutidrench? could it be a nutritional issue?

Anyone planning to go to the Canadian Valley Poultry Show in Norman, February 7?  This will be a show and sale--only their third one.  Friends have been involved in the other two and say they really are well run.  I'm pretty sure I'll be going, and I'll bring some young silkies--too young to determine gender for certain, but can make good guesses.

We went last year and plan to go this year. We enjoyed the flea market too.

I need to mark chicks to differentiate between lines. What do you guys suggest? Zip ties? Leg bands? Toe punch :(

I toe punch by pen and use the plastic rings to indicate year of birth. I couldn't trust the zip ties...they popped loose. I will be adding wing bands this year to indicte the hen parent... For the Columbian Wyandotte pen this year...trying to determine the source of the comb issue.

I have been reading alot about the use of Denagard for prevention/treatment of respirtory diseases.  Has anyone used this product?  Just curious as to how effective it is at prevention.  Also what the dosage is.  Thanks

I use 8 cc per gallon for the bantam breeds and 10 cc per gallon of water for the large fowl.

Sorry, but I am full of questions today:

I have a question for all of you LF Cochin breeders. I have LF Cochin's, currently I have a Blue Rooster over three black hens, and then I have a Black Rooster over three black hens. Their pens are next to each other. I am wondering how to merge the two groups together (I also have POL pullets I will be adding to the groups). My question is can this be done without the two Roosters fighting. Right now I have never seen them fighting between the pens. I do not want them to hurt each other. I would really like to have one large group of LF Cochin's vs two seperate groups. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks

P.S: I am hoping to get some blue and splash pullets/hens this spring..lol

Roosters will fight but not like other breeds.

Mitzi Rocket Man is a great name! I use Oxytetracycline if any of mine get the crud. The starlings are horrible right now and I have been treating a bird also. I still have the boys if you are still interested

@NanaKat , could I take just the Birchen Wyandotte/Cochin cross and the Blue Columbian? I certainly don't need anymore but those 2 are stunning.
It makes me a bit ill not to take the Black Cochin Bantam........Doesn't someone here want a miniature Black Cochin????
Would he do ok in about an acre with the 12 LF boys in the backyard? If none of these other ungrateful Okies want him, I'll take him, too.

Last edited:
I know this has been asked a million times, but which is better for coop bedding, straw or hay? I currently use hay, but reading some of the forum's and post on facebook, there are a lot of people that say don't use hay.

I know this has been asked a million times, but which is better for coop bedding, straw or hay?  I currently use hay, but reading some of the forum's and post on facebook, there are a lot of people that say don't use hay.

Straw in the winter, because it's hollow and that makes it a good insulator. The hollow core also hides parasites, so you switch out for hay during the warm months.

Robin, I already do the vitamins. I doubt it's an early post-hatch deficiency, since this is one of Rinda's and I'm pretty sure she's probably tried all the standard wryneck treatment. I doubt I'll tube her, since she does eat, and she has that potential. I'm going to try to give her the help she needs with that crook and it'll be up to her to put up her own fight.

can you tube feed her and also add nutidrench? could it be a nutritional issue?

The issue is that I candled and forgot to turn the turner back on. Didn't realize it until a week later when it was time to candle again- DOH! Two female cream legbar hatched with this side crick in the neck. One died within a day or two, but Georgina was still doing well at 2 weeks old so I offered her to Kelly since she lost Juilet, the other special needs cream legbar I gave her.

During the first 5 days of life I gave her Poly-vi-sol vitamins to no effect.

Last edited:
@NanaKat , could I take just the Birchen Wyandotte/Cochin cross and the Blue Columbian? I certainly don't need anymore but those 2 are stunning.
It makes me a bit ill not to take the Black Cochin Bantam........Doesn't someone here want a miniature Black Cochin????
Would he do ok in about an acre with the 12 LF boys in the backyard? If none of these other ungrateful Okies want him, I'll take him, too.

The Black Cochin Bantam currently runs with the layer flock...all large fowl. There are 8 big roosters in that flock so, yep, he holds his own with the big boys. And yes, you can take any you please. I just think they are too nice looking to go to freezer camp.
I know this has been asked a million times, but which is better for coop bedding, straw or hay? I currently use hay, but reading some of the forum's and post on facebook, there are a lot of people that say don't use hay.
I use pine shavings because they dry out easily, can be raked thru, I also use leaves collected in the fall , shredded in a can with a weed wacker. Both of these when mixed with chicken poop, make great compost/mulch for the garden.
I don't use hay or straw on the floor of the coop because it matts with poop and is harder to clean out. But I do use hay in the nest boxes.

Chicken chores are done, the cattle have been fed, and now I'm waiting for Roger to wake up from his nap to go put out hay in the pastures for the 3 herds. We sent 49 calves to market yesterday aged 8 months to 14 months. Should reduce our feed bill by 1/4. Bubby went with the bunch to town. I'm sure he will make some nice steaks, roasts and hamburger, but will miss him.
The last hatch included Bantam Delaware, mixed Bantam breeds, Serama (2) and White Wyandotte. For some reason there is poor fertility in the Columbian Wyandotte pen. So I'll pull the rooster and put him with two nice hens in a pen by himself. Then pull a trio of hens to go with another rooster. Also need to set up the Blue Columbian, Black Birchen, and Blue Birchen pens. Hatching season is up on us.
The gentleman from Indiana is supposed to come in the next two weeks to pick up the birds he wants.

@greenbeetle PM me if you are still interested in a pair of the Columbian Wyandotte. I have a nice young pair set aside.

Last edited:
I agree with NanaKat, and use pine shavings because hay and/or straw get wet and mat up. In the summertime, they mildew quickly if they get wet. I find pine shavings much easier to use.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom