***OKIES in the BYC III ***

He's a Frizzled Silkie, I guess his color would be called Wheaten (?). I had the honor of hatching him Nov 13' and he was the only Frizzle to hatch out of those 11 eggs. I was so lucky to find him a home with Poco where he could have his own girls instead of living with all his brothers. I do still have his brothers.
(Sorry to butt in, Poco, but I'm so happy he's got a good home).

Leon is the ideal rooster. He is good to his silkie hens and he treats people with respect. He calls his girls when he finds something good to eat, and I have seen him charge the fence when he thought one of the barn cats was too close to the pen. Here's his over-the-shoulder look that says, "Don't hate me just because I'm beautiful."

Last edited:
Hey guys, I'm gonna need a critter sitter soon. My darling man moved back to New Hampshire (for work, I promise) and I'm gonna go up to see him in February. What's the best way to find (and pay) for someone, preferable a responsible teen in 4H or similar to care for my critters while I'm away?

Hey guys, I'm gonna need a critter sitter soon. My darling man moved back to New Hampshire (for work, I promise) and I'm gonna go up to see him in February. What's the best way to find (and pay) for someone, preferable a responsible teen in 4H or similar to care for my critters while I'm away?
high school FFA teacher might have the person you need .

My teenage sister or brother in Owasso may be interested. They are responsible and do pet sitting for other family friends- usually dogs and cats though! Let me know if you want their number.

My blue barnevelders. I just had to share. :)

Took a few pictures this frosty morning....

Out for treats this morning....the layer flock with allllll the Columbian Wyandotte cockerels and the Blue Cochin cock

The White Wyandotte I bought at the Shawnee Show. The girls have been laying and we have 8 chicks hatched already in the brooder.

Need some ideas for roost, have bo rooster that has hard time getting up so I need to make some new maybe lower roost pictures please

I made one 40 by 50 inches with three stair stepped roost boards set at 8, 16, and 24 inches like risers. I used 1 x 6 boards for the base. and 2x 4 for the uprights. Then set 1 x 4 x 60 inch boards as the roosts. I used screws instead of nails. It is light weight enough that I can move it easily. To clean out the poop/litter underneath, I can easily use a shovel or pitchfork. It sits nicely in a corner or along a wall.

Granddaughter Brinklee feeding Little Joe.

Need some ideas for roost, have bo rooster that has hard time getting up so I need to make some new maybe lower roost pictures please

Depends on your coop setup and how many birds you have. I have branches salvaged from the brushpile as roosts. You can either build a frame to hold it (a couple of boards in an x would be easiest) or wedge it in if it fits side to side, or salvage y branches and bury the ends in a dirt floor. When my flock outgrew that I used a shovel handle until I could find another branch large enough. If he has a realky hard time, you could just put a log in the coop that he can climb up on.

You could also build a ramp up to the roost so he can get up with the others, unless you have to worry about him falling off.

Back
Top Bottom