***OKIES in the BYC III ***

My first treatment plan would be deworm and treat for cocci. Lethargic, puffed up, and sleepy are classic cocci symptoms- bloody stools I'd say only about 60% of the time. This is kind of a failure to thrive situation and if my guess is correct if you can't turn him around in about a week he's probably done for.

X2 treat for cocci.... there is corid and sulmet, sulmet has been my first choice. Poor thing... :(
Good luck!!!

So I have a jubilee orpington egg pipped on the wrong end. Normally, I'd just let nature do its thing, but this is 1 expensive little egg. It's the 1 and only pip so far. I've read about sitting it with the pipped end up inside the incubator. I hate opening the incubator during lockdown but since it's the only pip and its outlook isn't fantastic anyway, would this be ok? Has anyone successfully dealt with a wrong end pip, and if so I'd love tips. It's also hatching early which is not my favorite thing.

So I have a jubilee orpington egg pipped on the wrong end. Normally, I'd just let nature do its thing, but this is 1 expensive little egg. It's the 1 and only pip so far. I've read about sitting it with the pipped end up inside the incubator. I hate opening the incubator during lockdown but since it's the only pip and its outlook isn't fantastic anyway, would this be ok? Has anyone successfully dealt with a wrong end pip, and if so I'd love tips. It's also hatching early which is not my favorite thing.

They can sometimes hatch fine on the wrong end- but it's harder for them to position and turn. I would leave it be for at least a few hours and see if it progresses on it's own. More than likely you are going to have to intervene and help it hatch though. Take the egg out, have a warm wet washcloth on hand. Wrap the egg in the washcloth and start chipping away along where the pip is, in a normal pipping area. Chip a little eggshell and watch the membrane closely. Stop the second you see any blood and put it back in the incubator, loosely wrapped in the wet washcloth so the membrane doesn't dry out. Wait at least an hour, maybe two, before trying again. Good luck!!!!

X2 treat for cocci.... there is corid and sulmet, sulmet has been my first choice. Poor thing... :(
Good luck!!!

I had Corid resistant cocci last spring and switched to sulmet- but have been recently told that sulmet only treats for one strain of cocci while Corid treats for 4 or 5 strains. So while in some situations Sulmet is better, the best general recommendation is still Corid.

I had Corid resistant cocci last spring and switched to sulmet- but have been recently told that sulmet only treats for one strain of cocci while Corid treats for 4 or 5 strains.  So while in some situations Sulmet is better, the best general recommendation is still Corid.

Thanks for all the advice! I really appreciate it! My youngest son (5) asked to uncover the cage this morning before school. He said, oh she is still asleep! I couldn't see the cage from where I was but assumed Brownie was in the head nuzzled in its back position. Then my oldest (7) walks up and says, ahhh how sweet! She is laying down!
1f633.png
1f601.png
needless to say, at that point I jumped up and recovered the cage. I wonder if there wasn't something wrong with it from the beginning. It's feathers came out straight from the time they came in and it never feathered at all on it's back. It was almost 12 weeks! I don't know how long they can have cocci before it gets them. I had treated once before also. I think I should probably treat all the chicks that it was with so I will start that today! Can I add dewormer and Corrid to the same water or does it need to be separate?

I had 7 Araucana hatch a few yrs ago and 5 of them pipped and hatched fine at the 'wrong' end. I marked them so I'd know and all lived.

I had Corid resistant cocci last spring and switched to sulmet- but have been recently told that sulmet only treats for one strain of cocci while Corid treats for 4 or 5 strains. So while in some situations Sulmet is better, the best general recommendation is still Corid.
Actually it's just the opposite, Sulmet kills more strains. My job today is to find the article I read about it so we can both save it. It was the reason I started using Sulmet only.

I had 7 Araucana hatch a few yrs ago and 5 of them pipped and hatched fine at the 'wrong' end. I marked them so I'd know and all lived.

Actually it's just the opposite, Sulmet kills more strains. My job today is to find the article I read about it so we can both save it. It was the reason I started using Sulmet only.
This is just what I needed to hear.
They can sometimes hatch fine on the wrong end- but it's harder for them to position and turn. I would leave it be for at least a few hours and see if it progresses on it's own. More than likely you are going to have to intervene and help it hatch though. Take the egg out, have a warm wet washcloth on hand. Wrap the egg in the washcloth and start chipping away along where the pip is, in a normal pipping area. Chip a little eggshell and watch the membrane closely. Stop the second you see any blood and put it back in the incubator, loosely wrapped in the wet washcloth so the membrane doesn't dry out. Wait at least an hour, maybe two, before trying again. Good luck!!!!
OK, Thanks for the info. Honestly I decided to just let it do its thing, its either going to make it or not, but I dont want to risk the rest of the bunch for it. I'm rooting for it tho.

I'm using Sulmet right now in the brooder room because a few young birds on the floor were acting lethargic and puffed up. Felt it better to treat all of them instead of pulling the few to treat just in case the others were exposed. It is always good to be pro-active.

Fabulous- I look forward to reading it!

Back
Top Bottom