***OKIES in the BYC III ***

It was great seeing you too & meeting your hubby!

I am ecstatic to have them back, so don't feel guilty. You can reserve visitation rights as their 2nd mama
1f603.png
if you miss them too much!

How many girls were they running with? I have 31 girls, 35 with them. "Bill" get's to stay as the only Roo who has passed muster and "Cochise", the Partridge, is being re-homed tomorrow.

I've decided I'll buy fertilized eggs & have my girls hatch them off ... Or I'll buy new chicks on occasion because roosters are a total pain! Live and learn
1f609.png

Thank you for selling them back to me!

Roosters truly are awesome. They seem to bond better and become actual pets better when they're not in with girls though. The 4 Light Brahma girls were in with.....about 30 others. Some were capons (neutered boys) and the hens hens plus the rooster.
Ole' Billy is one lucky boy lol I think if you let your girls hatch their own eggs you'd find the babies are extra special. You could always re-home the boys and keep the girls.

Just had to post this before I go back and get caught up on today's postings Look at these cuties that hatched and the differeces in sizes...they are soooo cute! The tiny one is either a Serama or an Old English Game Bantam. The biggest are Cochin and the two middle ones are a Delaware Bantam and a Silver Blue Rosecomb Bantam. Click this to really see the cuteness...
They are adorable! We were at Tractor Supply today and they had RIR's. Before I could open my mouth hubby said, "No! I mean it"!
1f604.png
He won this round, for now lol
Roosters truly are awesome. They seem to bond better and become actual pets better when they're not in with girls though. The 4 Light Brahma girls were in with.....about 30 others. Some were capons (neutered boys) and the hens hens plus the rooster. Ole' Billy is one lucky boy lol I think if you let your girls hatch their own eggs you'd find the babies are extra special. You could always re-home the boys and keep the girls.
Yes, Bill is special. He's just very kind to them, never rough or mean. My experience with roo's has not been pleasant, sooooo... I let them out of the run about 1:30-2:00 everyday and they have about half an acre to free range. They could go further if they chose to, but they stick close. Still, even with a total of 36, they have ample room to explore. They especially like it under our storage shed where they've dug holes and dust themselves. Now here is a "fun" mental image for you; me on all "fours" trying to toss DE into their dusting holes. I'm quite certain my neighbors think I've gone mad lol I promise they'll be well taken care of, and happy!

That's probably the place. My stroll down memory lane is from the '70s. My cousins lived in a trailer and the neighborhood was all small acreages. I just got some baby cochins from Meyers. Are you looking for some of your own or looking for surrogates? Mine could help you out when they grow up.

Nanakat, the TSC here in Skiatook has mottled Javas.

I'm a little worried about my Bumpers. Today she kept wandering off on her own while freeranging, and when I would take treats out she wasn't coming running with the rest of the flock. She made me go looking for her, and I would find her holed up in unusual places all alone. Each time I found her she would come to greet me, talking like normal, and wanting me to pick her up, but she seemed to want me to carry her around, and didn't want to be put down with the flock. I fed them treats with her on my lap the entire time, and she wasn't eating as much as normal. She even put her head on my shoulder, and just seemed clingy, which is unusual for her.

Every now and then I've noticed that she doesn't seem to be seeing as well, and I wonder if maybe her vision is dimming. I'm not sure how to test that theory. Hopefully tomorrow she'll be back to her Queen-Bee self.

Had a great night at the Coweta auction with Coral and Dusti. Didn't buy anything, but like Coral said, there were fifteen thousand bantams up before the large fowl, and I just couldn't stay that long. Next month should be a great sale for eggs and chicks, though.

Coral, this is Ramona Psycho-chick, the girl I told you about. One minute she wants to be picked up and petted, and the next she puffs up, ruff flared like a fighting roo, jumping and spurring and biting. I think maybe she's having a really rough puberty. I wonder if they make pamprin for chickens.

Nanakat, the TSC here in Skiatook has mottled Javas.

I'm a little worried about my Bumpers. Today she kept wandering off on her own while freeranging, and when I would take treats out she wasn't coming running with the rest of the flock. She made me go looking for her, and I would find her holed up in unusual places all alone. Each time I found her she would come to greet me, talking like normal, and wanting me to pick her up, but she seemed to want me to carry her around, and didn't want to be put down with the flock. I fed them treats with her on my lap the entire time, and she wasn't eating as much as normal. She even put her head on my shoulder, and just seemed clingy, which is unusual for her.

Every now and then I've noticed that she doesn't seem to be seeing as well, and I wonder if maybe her vision is dimming. I'm not sure how to test that theory. Hopefully tomorrow she'll be back to her Queen-Bee self.

Had a great night at the Coweta auction with Coral and Dusti. Didn't buy anything, but like Coral said, there were fifteen thousand bantams up before the large fowl, and I just couldn't stay that long. Next month should be a great sale for eggs and chicks, though.

Coral, this is Ramona Psycho-chick, the girl I told you about. One minute she wants to be picked up and petted, and the next she puffs up, ruff flared like a fighting roo, jumping and spurring and biting. I think maybe she's having a really rough puberty. I wonder if they make pamprin for chickens.

Sorry to hear Bumpers is not acting normally. Keep us posted.

As for the psycho chicken, perhaps Valium would be more helpful. JK. We wouldn't want to encourage a recreational pharmaceutical habit in an already unstable psyche.

Still, even with a total of 36, they have ample room to explore. They especially like it under our storage shed where they've dug holes and dust themselves.
Now here is a "fun" mental image for you; me on all "fours" trying to toss DE into their dusting holes. I'm quite certain my neighbors think I've gone mad lol
A length of 1/2 inch pvc with a can taped to the end for the DE would extend your reach.
I have one made so I can reach eggs laid under buildings or too far back in the small coops ...I'm getting a little old to be crawling around on my knees.

Kyzmette...I sure hope Bumpers is better today. Could she be having a hard time with one of her large eggs?
When Angel was going blind, I would find her wandering away from the flock and then simply sitting when she was so far away she couldn't hear the other hens. She was happy to see me when I would go get her. Once totally blind, she still enjoyed being carried around, set on a nice area of grass where she could pick, and had learned where her feed and water cups were secured and would travel back and forth on the roost bar to get to them. She even raised a cochin chick in a large cage pen.

Last edited:
As for the psycho chicken, perhaps Valium would be more helpful.  JK.  We wouldn't want to encourage a recreational pharmaceutical habit in an already unstable psyche.  

Hahahahahaha!!! I had to clean up my coffee laughing over that one!

This morning Bumpers wouldn't come out of the coop. My personal feeling (that I want to believe) is that she's not sick, she's just smarter than those other dingbats out running around in freezing temps and spitting snow. But when I poked my head in and asked her what was wrong, she came hobbling up to me quickly, croon-talking loudly, like she was TELLING me something, instead of her normal croon-talking. So I listened. She's in a tub inside with me now, waiting for an egg to finish boiling. Her old bones may be like mine, and a little more susceptible to cold weather. She's practically bald on her back, and I don't think the saddle keeps her as warm as feathers.

You know the old saying... If Bumpy ain't happy, mama ain't happy, and if mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.

That's probably the place. My stroll down memory lane is from the '70s. My cousins lived in a trailer and the neighborhood was all small acreages. I just got some baby cochins from Meyers. Are you looking for some of your own or looking for surrogates?  Mine could help you out when they grow up.

I want some Cochin hens to set my peafowl eggs for about a week before I put them in the incubator.

I'm posting this for a friend, they're having trouble uploading.
These 2 Young Silkie boys and this *gorgeous* bantam Frizzle Cochin need homes where they might have girls and pass on their good genes. All are nicely bred birds with good temperaments.
A Splash Sikie, a Black Silkie and a black and silver Frizzle Cochin boy-he's so cool! Real real pretty. Please PM me and I'll give her your contact info. She'll get back with you within minutes. Thanks :)

Back
Top Bottom