***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Quote: My birds came out of the coop this morning. the four amigos made the run around the house after their scratch breakfast and by 10:30 all the birds were back inside. I've gathered eggs twice already...even the starlings are holed up somewhere else.

The wild geese are back as of last week. Loosey and Goosey have come almost all the way to the barn to tell me their food container is empty. Since I don't want to feed all 30 of the wild geese, I feed those two behind the barn. It is nice to have them back again...this is going on 18 years now.

The wild geese are back as of last week. Loosey and Goosey have come almost all the way to the barn to tell me their food container is empty. Since I don't want to feed all 30 of the wild geese, I feed those two behind the barn. It is nice to have them back again...this is going on 18 years now.
Amazing.
caf.gif

I have a SFH in my main coop with a lavender bantam cochin rooster. She is laying and her eggs are fertile. Anyone know what a chick from that pairing would look like? I'm curious if it would be all black or have flowers?

I'm posting this for a friend, they're having trouble uploading.
These 2 Young Silkie boys and this *gorgeous* bantam Frizzle Cochin need homes where they might have girls and pass on their good genes. All are nicely bred birds with good temperaments.
A Splash Sikie, a Black Silkie and a black and silver Frizzle Cochin boy-he's so cool! Real real pretty. Please PM me and I'll give her your contact info. She'll get back with you within minutes. Thanks :)

Last edited:
I have a SFH in my main coop with a lavender bantam cochin rooster. She is laying and her eggs are fertile. Anyone know what a chick from that pairing would look like? I'm curious if it would be all black or have flowers?

Lavender is a recessive gene. So the chick should look much like a swedish flower but carry lav I would think... depends on what other genes a lav cochin can carry.

Lavender is a recessive gene.  So the chick should look much like a swedish flower but carry lav I would think... depends on what other genes a lav cochin can carry.

That is strange. Every combination I use on the chicken calculator with my lavender rooster ends with all black chicks. I hope it is wrong because I don't want tons if black chickens

That is strange. Every combination I use on the chicken calculator with my lavender rooster ends with all black chicks. I hope it is wrong because I don't want tons if black chickens

Well when you are breeding FOR lavender, black is a common carrier color because it is a clean, easy to breed with color. If you breed a lav to a black the offspring will all be black but carry the lavender (called a split). Bred back to the lavender parent the splits will create 50% lav and 50% black split carriers. That comprises my entire knowledge base about lavender LOL.

BUT wikipedia Lavender (chicken plumage) entry says this:

On a red/brown color plumage background, lavender gene degrades color to beige, like in some Pekin Bantams as in the picture set aside. On the color background of the Belgian Bearded d'Uccle Bantams, frequently referred to as the "Mille Fleur" in the United States,[2] lavender causes the pattern known as "porcelain". The resulting "porcelain" pattern is beige with each feather tipped with a V-shaped of slaty blue near the end of the feather and the feather tipped with a V-shaped white spangle.[3]

So it sounds like it depends on what color you are breeding to.

The chicken calculator is very powerful- but it can only work with known genes. And lavender is a fairly new one and we don't fully understand all of it's interactions yet.

The wild geese are back as of last week.  Loosey and Goosey have come almost all the way to the barn to tell me their food container is empty.  Since I don't want to feed all 30 of the wild geese, I feed those two behind the barn.  It is nice to have them back again...this is going on 18 years now.  

So, you have "Welfare Birds" too, huh? Only, all of your welfare birds are wild, only one or two of mine would be considered wild. My turkeys, and guineas, REFUSE to forage for food. They stand around, like they're in line at the welfare office, waiting for a handout. The toms even call in an occasional wild hen. I wish the hen, would show those boys a thing or two, about going out and finding food to eat. They've got a major appetite. The guineas really drive me nuts. They refuse to leave the back yard. Theyve eradicated the ticks there, but they won't venture to the pasture where the dogs are constantly bringing home ticks from. No. They just hang out, waiting on my to spread out the organic chicken feed.
Welfare birds, I tell Ya!

i have a faverolle, seems to fit the symptoms, but she apparently also has a sour crop on top of it- she lost her roo last week, so i thought at first that may be it, but she has chronic weight issues- and is dropping feathers
I have the same issue! One of the babies I hatched is presenting only saggy wings. Still eating and drinking a lot. I have brought it back in the garage to monitor for other symptoms. I started Corrid. Is that the right thing to do?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom